Dichlor/Bleach transition at anytime?

Nov 5, 2015
Illinois
Hello,

I have had a Jacuzzi J365 for a couple months now and just flushed and refilled. I'm interested in the dichlor/bleach method.

Can I switch to this method at anytime? For example, if my CYA levels start to rise would switching to bleach allow them to lower?

Thanks! I had just emptied and refilled due to CYA getting too high.

What would be the best borates to use and where would I get that? Brand new to hot tubbing so trying to gather as much info as I can.

If i'm reading the PoolMath correctly, it says I would need to add 17oz of boric acid to get 50ppm?

440 gallon spa.

Thanks! I really appreciate it. I've ordered the boric acid and will give the dichlor then bleach method a shot. I read through a few of the detailed descriptions of the method, has anything changed or been updated? One I read was from 2009.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes you can use the bleach without the borates, but your pH will tend to rise faster so you'll need to watch that. Of course, since you are lowering the TA you should be watching your water chemistry anyway.

I think the Dichlor-then-bleach sticky is mostly up-to-date now except for the CYA level. It originally said to have the TA below 80 but now we say for it to be 50 ppm and the use of Borates not optional.

Thanks! Also, on a somewhat separate note, I've noticed that there seem to be some effervescent type bubbles forming with jets running. They seem to form a bright white "clean" looking foam on the surface that dissipates pretty quickly after the jets are off. I just refilled last Thursday and with the fresh water I didn't notice any of this at that point.

Any thoughts on what could be causing it? I'm guessing it could be a result of the 7 people that were in the tub the next day and the accompanying detergent on their suits. It doesn't bother me too much but wanted to see if a) that was normal and b) if there's any way to mitigate it. The bubbles aren't foggy or cloudy, they don't seem to be from scum or anything like that.

Here are some photos.

IMG_6500.jpg
IMG_6501.jpg

Thanks Chem Geek, really appreciate it! If the cause were something other than detergent/soap such as deodorant or other oil based products would the foam show an oily or scumy attribute? Also, would it eventually be captured by the filter?

The foam itself is more likely to be from soap/detergent like molecules but of course you could have other substances mixed in on the surface including plain oils. Oils on the surface can be removed by use of a scum ball that attracts/collects oil. Soap foam itself is most easily removed by scooping, but the scum ball may help with that as well (the water hating tails of soap may bind to the scum ball). As for the filter, these substances would tend to get adsorbed by a cartridge filter IF they ever got to the filter, but because these substances have long water hating parts of the molecule, they tend to stay on the surface of the water and not get circulated to the filter (unless you've got a lot of suction with a funnel of water, but that would tend to suck in air as well so is unlikely).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.