New owner, old pool in North Alabama

Oct 20, 2015
Decatur/Al
Hi ya'll just bought a home in Decatur Al that came with a pool. So happy to find this forum so many questions answered already. I will be converting to salt hopefully by early spring, just soooo many things to redo (ugly plumbing, leaking pump seals...etc) Looking forward to sharing the experience.

Mike

Re: New owner, old pool in notth Alabama

Mikey, Is that a pic of the pool? If so you are already in good shape as it looks very clear!

Kim

Thanks, yep that's it. Being an engineer I just can't stand the plumbing job in the pool house lol. It's still set up on clor tabs, but have bought a Autopilot system and I'm in the middle of re-piping and running the new electrical for it now. We'll see how the weather goes as to how much I finish before spring.

I see you already have a good test kit! THAT is your number one tool for a clear pool.

Now if you have been reading you KNOW we LOVE pics! I would love to see a before and after pic of the plumbing so we can laugh and shake our heads "what were they thinking" with you! LOL

Kim

You got it Kim, I'll shoot some pictures this afternoon when I get home from work. Just warning 'ya, they won't be pretty. For some reason someone moved the filter outside the pool house and just didn't do a nice job. My system has a wet sump so there's plenty of room to make it beautiful.

U bet'ya, I have been drinking and thinking how to fix it lol

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks smforte, I moved here from Chicago and can't wait to be able to use the pool an extra 3 months

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Mikey how are you doing with the humidity??????? Wicked stuff BUT a pool helps so much! Get hot and jump in the pool to cool back off. I tend to jump in fully clothed while mowing! LOL Of course I am mowing 6.5 acres sooooooooo it is a little more than the average person! Climb back on the mower and keep going!

Kim

U bet'ya, I have been drinking and thinking how to fix it lol

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks smforte, I moved here from Chicago and can't wait to be able to use the pool an extra 3 months
Been here all my life except for a 3 yr stay in NY...what a shock to this ole suthun gal! I had never even seen a snow plow! OMG. All I can say is I loved the people but I didn't like living there. I love my 100 degree temps and long pool seasonal! Welcome to AL..YA'LL...

BUT Mike that is the FUN of it--------TRYING to figure out what they were thinking (or drinking!) LOL

Kim
Ok Kim I don't know about you, but I'm closing my eyes...........................

- - - Updated - - -

Kim, after the first winter (11" snow 2011 and was the only person in the plant Monday morning) I'm over it lol

- - - Updated - - -

Been here all my life except for a 3 yr stay in NY...what a shock to this ole suthun gal! I had never even seen a snow plow! OMG. All I can say is I loved the people but I didn't like living there. I love my 100 degree temps and long pool seasonal! Welcome to AL..YA'LL...
Again, thanks and you folks can't drive in the snow......lol

Attachments

• 20151106_133211.jpg
    20151106_133211.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20151106_133039.jpg
    20151106_133039.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20151106_133051.jpg
    20151106_133051.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20151106_133100.jpg
    20151106_133100.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 50
ummmmmmmmm uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu wwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa????????????????????????????? My head hurts just trying to figure that out. WHY?? OH Why did they put the filter outside? What does the pump room look like? as in how big is it overall and where is it located in relation to the house?

At least they used unions??? LOL Do I see flex hose?

It will be VERY easy to make it "pretty" compared to what it looks like now!

Kim

(You would have LOVED the tiny addition the former owner of our place put on the outside of our washroom. We THINK he had it set up as a tiny office or such. You know how a roof will over hand the wall?? Welllllllllll this tiny little added on roof BUTTED up to the wall!!!!!! like this ------------------l :shock:

We could not get financing on the place until that tiny roof and wall was taken down and the wall rebuilt where it used to be. The house was in foreclosure so no owner really so we got written permission to do the work ourselves. We pulled it down with the truck! LOL

That's an um... interesting setup. The pump setup I less than optimal. The filter is just plain stupid. Did they just have a handful of extra fittings that they wanted to use? They used 7 instead of 3. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well he DID try to warn us!!! I do have to say this is the SECOND worse one I have seen.............there was one posted that was CRAZY! We all thought it was done as a joke as it was SO crazy. We never did find out if it was real of just put together without glue for the pic.

Kim

That's an um... interesting setup. The pump setup I less than optimal. The filter is just plain stupid. Did they just have a handful of extra fittings that they wanted to use? They used 7 instead of 3. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

240sx guy, yep ain't she special. I can hear it now......." hey hold my beer and watch this" I have a new Jandy epump waiting to go in as soon as I finish the electric. Converting to salt but not until spring. It will look better when I'm done.:eek:

Well he DID try to warn us!!! I do have to say this is the SECOND worse one I have seen.............there was one posted that was CRAZY! We all thought it was done as a joke as it was SO crazy. We never did find out if it was real of just put together without glue for the pic.

Kim

Kim, I just can't make this stuff up. Back to your earlier question......the building is 30 Ft x 8 Ft with each end walled at 7 FT. The pump room is 8 x 7 with the sump pit at 3' x 4' and 42" deep. There is all kinds of room to get the filter back in. I'll take progress pics along the way.

Mike it is easy to see that your crazy set up is real! We can see the glue and the pics are too close up to be faked LOL!

What else is the building used for? Or what will YOU use it for? Do you have ANY idea why they put the filter outside? Is the dirt always wet by the pipes coming up?

You can only go up from here! THANKS for the groans and "whats were they thinking" pics and post.

Kim

Mike it is easy to see that your crazy set up is real! We can see the glue and the pics are too close up to be faked LOL!

What else is the building used for? Or what will YOU use it for? Do you have ANY idea why they put the filter outside? Is the dirt always wet by the pipes coming up?

You can only go up from here! THANKS for the groans and "whats were they thinking" pics and post.

Kim

Kim we use the building for all of our lawn equipment, pool chemicals and stuff. As far as why they moved the filter, nobody's knows. Asked the pool store that I found receipts for and they didn't know. And about the water coming in, no it normally is dry but it's been raining for the last 2 days here. I finished the electric today, may put the new pump in temporally tomorrow. But I will at least bolt it down. lol :pth:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support