pool pump

Apr 19, 2009
We usually run our pool pump at least once a month during the winter. But this time we left it turned off for about 2 months and now it won't come on. It does make a humming noise. But I don't know where to begin to try and determine how to get it working without calling the pool service guy and paying a hefty fee. Do you have any advice on what to check to get it working again?

Hi, welcome to the forum. :wave:

If you can post your equipment specs and pool info in your signature that would be helpful. Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit signature. For an example of what info we need, check out my signature.

There is usually a clear cap on the pump with a strainer basket in it. Does the water reach the top? If not, then the pump has probably lost prime and that might be why it won't work. When you say 'hum', can you tell if it's running and just not pumping water? Are all of your lines open, no valves shut off, etc.?

You'll get more suggestions, I'm sure, but be sure to post your equipment info. :wink:

Is there a valve on top of the filter, for 'bleeding air' ? (I'm not sure if sand filters have these....) if you do, and unscrew it a bit to bleed the air out of the filter...

Check your return in the water, do you feel any water flowing through it?

When is the last time the sand filter was opened, and you checked/changed out the sand?

I'm no expert on pumps, hopefully someone else will chime in shortly. I do know don't leave it running if it's not functioning normally, that could make a bad problem worse....

Take the end cap off the back of the motor to expose the back side of the motor shaft. Turn on the motor and see if it's moving. If so, the impeller may be clogged or broken. If not, turn the motor off and see if it turns easily by hand. If so, you may just have a bad capacitor in the motor. If not, your bearings are probably shot or there is some other oxidation holding the shaft in place.

You can also try turning the shaft of the motor while it is humming to get it to 'turn over', but be very careful if you choose to do this as it starts going very fast, very quickly and there's a lot of wiring back there.

Thanks so much for you help. We have taken the pump apart and inspected it. I appears to have quite a bit of erosion. We are going to try and clean it and replace parts that don't work. I'll let you know how it goes. But thanks again. I couldn't have done it without you.

O.K. looks like I may need a new hp super pump. The gold canister part has burn marks on it and the wires appear to be burnt. May have been struck by lighting? My pool/pump is about 13 years old and I have never had any problem with the pump till now. It appears that ony the gold canister part is not working. So can I purchase only this part? Or is it just as cheap to buy the whole pump? And where should I look to purchase this pump or part?

Welcome to TFP!!

In addition to the motor you'll want the seal assembly (SP 1600 Z 2) and a housing gasket (SP 1600 T). If you go with an A. O. Smith replacement motor, the part number will be UST #### - the #s change depending on the horsepower. If you can't read the HP off the motor, you cna cheat and get the number off the impeller which will tell us what the HP is :wink: If you need any help on 'how to' make the changeout, I could do it in my sleep :)

O.K. the have the info off the gold canister. Hayward Super pump model #C48K2N143 Series 8L94.
HP1 Volts 115/230 Sp 1607Z1M SF1.1. I did a search for the model # and didn't come up with anything that matched exactly. I guess since it is 13 years old its not made anymore. So where should I look to purchase this and what exactly should I get?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
O.k. we have the pump repaired and Now problem #2 is green swamp and we are about to work on that as soon as I get a new test kit. But what I am concerned about now is I think I may have quite a bit of water behind my liner. How do you get it out? Can you run a hose behind it and pump it out? Or will this ruin the liner?

Bond, James (a/k/a 007) :wink: 8)

A separate thread would probably be better for this - more folks could find the info 8)

You can certainly untuck a section of liner and put a pump hose in. A bit more info would help, like how old is the liner, how much water is in it now, why do you think there's water behind it, is the liner 'bulging' anywhere and what sort of snow melt and rain have you recently experienced?

The company I work for specializes in IG liner pools, so I can probably help you with water behind a liner, if you'd answer the questions I asked above 8)

The liner is 8 years old. And its actually had water behind it for sometime now. You can see and feel bulging in the corners. We are going to clear up the water and then we can probably see better to tell if its worse since last summer. There are a couple of spots where the liner is pulled away from the sides. I wasn't sure whether or not it was safe to run a hose down one of these spots or if it would cause more problems. Also is there away to fix the spots where the liner is pulled away from the sides?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.