Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have an Aqua Logic P4 automation system.

My builder originally installed a large Pentair Niche and incandescent 500w light, I burned out the light this season when I was draining draining pool for closing and the water dropped below the light (lesson learned).

What are my options to go to Color LED? Those light shows look cool, I'm just not sure it will be bright enough for my pool as I only have one niche and I read the color lights were only equivalent to a 300w light.

Aside from that,

1. what equipment will I need to upgrade to a color LED? Can I continue to use my Pentair Niche and fixture and only the bulb inside is changed?

2. Do I need to stick to Hayward in order for it to be compatible with my Aqua Logic system and remote?

3. Will the Aqua Logic P4 system be able to do a color show? I'll see the options in my Aqua Logic menu?

4. Do I need to upgrade to a Pro Logic PS-4 system? Is there a board upgrade available? I've only seen that offered as a kit when purchasing the Goldline Sense and Dispense ad-on.

5. Do I just stick another incandescent in there, change to a white LED?

Thank you for any help and advice you can provide.

1. Just new lights. I recently got these and they fit the Pentair niche. http://www.pentairpool.com/products/lighting-color-changing-intellibrite-5g-underwater-color-changing-led-pool-and-spa-lights-74.htm

2. No. The Aqualogic will just turn the lights on and off. To get to the different color modes, you simply turn on off a certain number of times. You can also get a separate controller to make it a little easier to chose the light mode. http://www.pentairpool.com/products/lighting-color-changing-intellibrite-controller-401.htm

3. The controller does not control the show. That is done internally within the lights themselves.

4. No

5. That is your choice.

1. Just new lights. I recently got these and they fit the Pentair niche. http://www.pentairpool.com/products/lighting-color-changing-intellibrite-5g-underwater-color-changing-led-pool-and-spa-lights-74.htm

2. No. The Aqualogic will just turn the lights on and off. To get to the different color modes, you simply turn on off a certain number of times. You can also get a separate controller to make it a little easier to chose the light mode. http://www.pentairpool.com/products/lighting-color-changing-intellibrite-controller-401.htm

3. The controller does not control the show. That is done internally within the lights themselves.

4. No

5. That is your choice.

Thank you,

Do you know what the color LED Intellibrite 5G is equivalent to in Watts? My current white incandescent is 500w, 99% of the time, I will be using the white light.

Are these better compared to the Hayward lights, like the Universal Color Logic?

I was told that if I went withe the Hayward Universal ColorLogic, that I would also need a transformer, is this the same for the Intellibrite ?

If I chose to stick with Hayward universal color Logic, would it be compatible with my Pentair Niche, will my Aqua Logic recognize it?

Thanks

I don't believe the Hayward lights will fit in a Pentair niche.

The Intellibrite comes in 12v and 120v version so if you have a 120v light now, you can just get the 120v version. The web site should show you all the options available.

Just revisiting this as warmer weather is in sight as snow is melting.

Is there now a 500w color LED bulb I can retrofit to work in my existing setup.

Looking for recommendations for the best overall solution, whatever that is.

So why don't you want use the Pentair Intellibrite lights that fit the niche?

You're right, it's a good suggestion and a good option.

My hesitation is that it's not going to be seamless in functionality compared to using a Hayward product.

If I were to go Hayward LED, would I have to swap out the entire Niche? And which Hayward product to use, is it compatible with my automation system and Aqua Pod remote, it's all confusing.

4. No

5. That is your choice.

I ended up talking to Hayward tech support today and even if I went with a Hayward light, they recommended the Universal color logic and it would function the same way as the Pentair, with quick on/off to switch modes, so I guess switching to Hayward wouldn't make it any better and sticking with Pentair would be simpler it seems.

I asked did I should just stick with another 500w incandescent because I wasn't sure if the White LED equivalent is the same strength as the incandescent, do you know?

if I go for the color Intellibrite, will the white be as bright as compared to a white led only model?

Lastly, is there a general consensus if the Intellibrite white or color lights are better than their Hayward counterparts?

one thing Hayward told me is that I would need a step down transformer if I went with a Hayward Color, is that not the same case for the Intellibrite? If not, why?

Thanks for all your help.

I don't believe the Hayward lights will fit in a Pentair niche.

The Intellibrite comes in 12v and 120v version so if you have a 120v light now, you can just get the 120v version. The web site should show you all the options available.

Just wanted to say thanks, I stuck with Pentair, much easier as you pointed out.

I went with the Pentair Amerbrite 120V LED Color Replacement Pool Light Bulb Kit- 602065.

It just screws in like an incandescent, no retro fitting, doesn't seem to be any downside, I hope.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.