Opened pool today - funky readings on my auto pilot

JumboShrimp

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
Hi all. My kids & I opened pool today - kinda early for central PA but Mom is happy & that's all that matters!
My check flow light is blinking but I have total flow?
display sez purifier at 6%
self test sez my salt is... 20800 ppm!! :?: (twenty thousand eight hundred)
unit - size 48 - is one yr old (this is it's second season) and was stored inside for winter
pool was closed by the installer as it was 'part of the deal' for my 1st year
opening it was a piece of cake - thanx to reading up on it here before I did it.
Could the high reading just make it think there's no need to produce?

Any advice for this Noob would be great as I have grown to really respect the members here!!
My plan is to Vac to waste to both clean and remove some water, test, balance and enjoy - is that what the pro's would do?
Thanks in advance
Mike

First thing is a full set of test results including a salt test. Very possibly the unit just needs to be recalibrated, which is an easy procedure once you have an accurate salt level from a test.

Thanx for the quick reply
I plan on testing as soon as I get the level right - full to the top from winter plus some light debris. Actually, I was impressed with how Un-Ugly the water was!!
I did some searching after I posted initially and found a good thread on cleaning the cell, lifespan, etc. Do you think I should clean it? only 1 season of use so I didn't give it much thought.
Thanx again

If check flow is blinking and the salt level isn't what you expect, make sure both ends of the cable from the control unit to the tri-sensor (at the top of the manifold) are securely connected. You should also double check that the small strainer screen in the AutoPilot manifold is clean.

Thanx for the input... Took cell apart, shiny as a mirror! Tried to get the tri-sensor out but couldn't - thought I would bust something, cleaned screen - was a little crud on it but not clogged.
NOW the salt is reading 2400 but my temp reads 75 (the water is really 49 and yes, My kid swam 2 laps on a $20 dare :goodjob: today!)
the display also reads. 'bad temp sensor?" Is there an slick way to remove the tri-sensor?
What's next? call the factory? It is under 1 year old at this point
You guys are GREAT! I think its time I became a supporter!!
Mike

The tri-sensor tends to be reliable, it is usually the cable that fails. I would examine the entire length of the cable and check for bent pins in the connectors.

On the other hand, if it is under warranty, calling AutoPilot tech support at this point is a great idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.