Warm Weather Pool Owners

Apr 7, 2015
Katy, TX
I am a new pool owner in Houston, TX. I was just wondering if I needed to close my pool. I don't know if that is the right term. I'm asking if I should completely drain my pool for the winter or if I should continue to test and balance my pool. Sorry for the dumb question

Welcome! We are glad to see you! :wave:

There are a number of folks from TX around here. Mostly, they keep the pool open and just run the pump for debris clean up and during any freeze warnings. Moving water doesn't freeze as easy as still. Also, they do normal testing, just not as often since the colder water and less sunlight will slowdown the FC loss.

I'm sure they be some others along to provide greater detail, but that gives you something to work with.

Hey Brian,
almost all of us south of the Red River keep our pools open. Just maintain it as ususal. You will find your FC demand decreases dramatically due to the cold water and much shorter days. And so you won't have to test as often.

We do recommend though, that during the times the temp is at are near freezing, to run the pump and keep the water circulating. Moving water doesn't freeze as quckly. For no longer than we see freezing temps, that's about all we need to do for winter.

Of course there are a few that shut it down and cover it, but there isn't any real need to do that.

Ground water can actually cause the whole pool to "pop" out of the ground if your water table is anywhere near your pool depth. I have also read about weaker plaster becoming "delaminated". I am not an expert on plaster at all, so hopefully someone will chime in! Do you know what your water table depth is in your area?

Wow, if you're not a plaster expert, then I'm really embarrassed to tell you who I am because I didn't comprehend most of what you were saying. Anyways, I am about to have my pool builder drain some of my water because I'm getting some scaling (white spots) on the floor of my pool. I think he wants to do an acid wash.

Marian makes a good point about not draining the pool.

Never completely drain it, unless you are certain that ground water and hydrostatic pressure isnt, or wont be an issue while the pool is empty.

When the hydrotatic pressure under the pool becomes greater than the pressure from in the pool, then the pool will pop out of the ground. This problem is most prominent in FL, but can and has certainly happened other places too.

Draining some of the water is OK but wouldnt recommend to drain more than half, especially with all the rain we've had lately.

Pool out of ground in Pasco

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.