A few questions

May 26, 2008
Edited for clarity by inserting paragraph breaks and breaking up run on sentences by TFP Moderator

I have a 20x40 oval pool above ground I have posted on here before but its been about a year.
I have had the pool about 3 years and have always had problems. The first year went well with not to many problems,but the second year I had to change the liner.

Last year i had a constant fight with keeping the water clear, but Im thinking my filter wasn't working properlly,becuase when you turned it to fiter, back wash ect it didnt seems like it was doing any thing (Ie it was moving to easily). So I purchased another filter and pump (the pump is another question later).

Ok, so my question for the filter is what sand to put in it? Does it have to be sand from pool store? is playbox sand to course or should it be finer? I think that might have been part of the water problem last year the pool is my sister and she bought play box sand to replace it and replaced it herself without me knowing.

Now on to the pump. I have replaced twice since we've had the pool. It never quits working but it gets real loud, so heres my therory. At first i was thinking because of the wheather always being outside(but than I remebered as a kid we had inground pool and pump was on deck of pool), so my thinking is it my power source. We've always used extension cords even though was a heavier cord--the half inch cord.

You need to get pool sand for the filter.

Pool sand is more dense and is designed for filtration purposes. In addition to this, there are quality control steps that are applied to pool sand that are not applied to play sand. I suppose that you would need to get this from a pool store, but I think that I have seen it at the big box stores too (Home Depot). As long as it is marked as pool sand, you should be good.

I'll answer one of those and ask another.

The only suitable sand is pool filter sand.

How long is the extension cord out to your pool? What guage is the wire? Does the cord get a little bit hot when the pump is running? (I think you might be correct about the ext. cord being a good part of your pump problems.)

tosborn55 said:
Edited for clarity by inserting paragraph breaks and breaking up run on sentences by TFP Moderator

Ok, so my question for the filter is what sand to put in it? Does it have to be sand from pool store?
It needs to be pool filter sand. This is sand that has the proper size sand grains for filtering.
is playbox sand to course or should it be finer? I think that might have been part of the water problem last year the pool is my sister and she bought play box sand to replace it and replaced it herself without me knowing.
Using playsand is very likely the problem. It's not filter sand. There are many different grades of sand used for different purposes such as filtering, sandblasting, and sandboxes!

Now on to the pump. I have replaced twice since we've had the pool. It never quits working but it gets real loud, so heres my therory. At first i was thinking because of the wheather always being outside(but than I remebered as a kid we had inground pool and pump was on deck of pool), so my thinking is it my power source. We've always used extension cords even though was a heavier cord--the half inch cord.
If the pump got noisy I would suspect the bearings and I would suspect it's because you ran it dry and it overheated. AGP pumps are NOT self priming and if you let them run dry they will burn out!
How long is the extension cord you are using? I would not suspect a problem from a short cord that can carry the rated load but I would suspect problems if you are trying to use an under rated or very long cord.

Well, it's a heavy gauge cord. I'm not sure about gauge, but its a 50' cord. I usally run my welder off of it. I havent really noticed it getting hot though while the pump is on.

tosborn55 said:

Well, it's a heavy gauge cord. I'm not sure about gauge, but its a 50' cord. I usally run my welder off of it. I havent really noticed it getting hot though while the pump is on.
A 50 foot cord is probably too long for an inductive load like a motor. It's probably making the pump overheat and damaging the bearings and/or seals.

I don't think the extension cord is causing your pump motor to overheat, but it would probably be best to put in a feed for the pool, especially since it needs to be on a GFCI breaker. What's the amp rating of your pump? That plus the footage will determine the size of the breaker needed and the gauge of the wire, IIRC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.