Hayward Pump leaks

BB_Sacramento

Aug 14, 2015
sacramento/CA
I have a 4-filter Hayward pump from 2003 and when the pump is running there is a drip coming from the center o-ring area, and also it's leaking at the top where the pressure dial is connected to the top of the filter container. I bought a new large o-ring and replaced it, even though the old o-ring is just 9 months old. I think that leak stopped (it's hard to tell because it's been raining.) I have never touched the pressure dial on top and it's never leaked before. I can't get it to budge, although there are arrows showing that it turns both ways to remove. (Is there a "trick" to removing it?) That part has 2 o-rings according to the diagram, and the pool store had to order those for me, but I'm not sure if that is the problem or not. Has anyone else had these similar problems - of leaking from the top AND the middle of the pump? And if so, were they o-ring related? It just seems odd that this is happening suddenly. I have seen the top area leak off and on ever since I got the new variable-speed pentair pump several months ago. Before that it never leaked from the top. But it will go for weeks and NOT leak.

BB, correct me if I'm wrong, but while you are mentioning "pump" a couple times in your description, it almost sounds as if you are really referring to the filter "housing" that holds your filter. The top and bottom of the filter housing are probably separated in the middle by a larger O-ring, and it also has a pressure gauge at the top. Is that correct? If so, could you provide a model number of that Hayward filter housing please? A couple things to note while confirming your model number ... O-rings typically need some lube on them when installed. Did you do that 9 months ago when you replaced the O-ring? As for the pressure gauge, some are sealed with Teflon tape on the threads, others mate to the surface with small O-rings. Most are removed counterclockwise, but knowing your model may help clarify if there's something unique to your set-up.

OMG I am so embarrassed. You are correct, yes, it is the housing for the filters that is leaking. Yes, I used lube on the o-ring when it was installed and as needed when cleaning the filters also but not every time. The Hayward filter housing is called Swimclear. I don't have the model number but it was purchased 2003 and has 4 paper filters inside about 30" tall. I've attached 3 photos. You can see where water was leaking out of the large o-ring in the middle and also wet tracks where it had been leaking from the top also. According to the diagram for this particular model there are 2 small o-rings between the pressure dial and the top housing, but I can't get the top to budge right or left. At the pool store the employee tried to show me on their floor model (which is slightly different from mine because it's newer) but he couldn't get his to budge either!
IMG_0415.jpgIMG_0414.jpgIMG_0413.jpg

That's okay. :) In the meantime, I found this page SwimClear | Filters | In Ground Pool Filters - Hayward Pool Products which has manuals for filters similar to yours. I noticed two things about these filters:
1 - It actually states NOT to lubricate the center housing seal before reassembly. From the pic I see the dripping stain down the side. Drips can always be frustrating, but I would say this ... if it's just a slow drip or two that eventually runs down and not a full-blown steady stream, you may want to leave it for now until it's time to open the filter housing for cleaning. But if/when you do open it up, inspect that center housing (metal) ring to make sure it is clean and free from any particles that could interfere with the seal. Since the manual says not to lubricate, you could try to assemble the filter without lubing the seal, or just call Hayward and ask if there's any harm. That center ring appears to be somewhat delicate, so be careful with that one.
2 - Maybe someone who has a similar filter will chime-in on this thread, but the manual talks about replacing the entire Manual Air Relief (MAR) valve. The gauge is attached to that. You might need to call and see if they can actually be separated. I can't tell from the pic on the manual.

Update: I was able to manually turn the black top part of the filter housing where the gauge is (didn't have to use a tool, just muscle, and it turned 1/4 turn counter-clockwise to open). I received the 2 o-rings for the top piece where the gauge is, lubed both and replaced them, and was able to easily put the part back on. I also took the large band off the middle of the housing and cleaned it well with a paper towel to make sure there was no debris keeping it from a tight seal. Closed it all up, turned on the pump, and no leaks. But this morning I noticed a leak from the black bottom drain screw on the housing. I'm going to open that later today and lube that o-ring. Hopefully there will be no more leaking. The drips coming out of the top and side of my housing was a constant drip when the filter was on, so I was losing water daily from the pool (and we're in a severe drought.) Also, I spoke to the guy at the pool store about whether I should be lubing the large o-ring and he said they are always told to lube all o-rings always. I looked at the manual for the newer model of my pump and I can't find where it says not to lube the o-ring, but it doesn't say specifically to lube it.

When you install the large tank o-ring, you need to make sure that the o-ring and the slots of the top and bottom filter parts are clean. Any debris there will make the area leak. Also.make sure the top is straight and totally flush at the joint where the o-ring is installed. Even a leaf will cause a leak!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.