Hello from Kentucky

Apr 16, 2009
Western Kentucky
Hey everyone one. Thought I'd make my first post in the Intro.

This has been a helpful site. I've done read all the pool school, and BBB methods, ect. Can't wait to get started. I've already ordered the TF100 kit, and am waiting to receive it in the mail.

A little history about my pool...
Bought a foreclosure last year for next to nothing. It needed tons of TLC though. But has a pool thats about 10 years old. From my understanding, the liner was changed 5 years ago. Problem is, the foreclosure company installed 2x6's across the pool with chicken wire, and then the cover. When hurricane Ike came through, (yup in Kentucky) it shifted the cover, and collapsed in on the shallow end. Wasn't much I could do about it till about a week ago since were finally above the 30 degree weather. I had to repair three tears from the boards collapsing. Hope I got them all. :( Water level was just at the shallow end where all the water leaked out. I wanted to drain it all, but thanks to this site, found out that was a bad idea.:goodjob: I've now refilled it, but have major algae issues from the mess that was in there when the house set in foreclosure. I'm waiting to receive my test kit before tackling the green.

Here is some pics of what I'm against.

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG00262.jpg

IMAG0030.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

Here are a couple of links to tell you what you need to know:

pool-school/defeating_algae

turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparking-oasis-t4147.html

Your water is fairly clear compared to messes I've had, so it shouldn't be bad to clear it up. You should have the kit fairly quickly. It would be a good idea to start shopping for the cheapest source of liquid chlorine. That may be a pool store where they'll call it liquid shock, or it may be at Walmart or Aldi in the form of unscented laundry bleach. In the meantime, try to find a pool leaf rake to clear out any debris in the bottom of the pool. Then try to figure out if the pump and filter work. You have some time since the water isn't too warm yet, which slows down algae growth, and nobody's going to want to swim anyway.

In case you should come across me on the way to Kentucky Lake, it's the stripes on my boat that make me look like I'm going faster than I am :lol:

Hi gsxr1181 and welcome to the forum :wave:

Your first post is impressive! You've read Pool School, ordered the TF 100 Test Kit, created your signature and added your location in your profile! :goodjob:

I agree with JohnT, all things considered, your pool doesn't look all that bad!

ETA: You want to stock up on bleach for the shocking. That TF100 Test Kit will be there before you know it! :wink: