Low salt levels in salt water pool

JB80

Nov 3, 2015
camarillo/ca
I ave a in ground 12k gal salt water pool. The city I live in has extremely hard water. Because of this I have to clean my SWG every 1-2 months due to scaling. Recently it was cleaned and after doing so my ppm ranges from 3000-3200. However within a week my ppm has dropped to 2300 and my check salt level alert light has been activated. I have added 2 bags of salt over the last 2 weeks where the ppm raised to 2800, but a week later (today) the level has again dropped to 2200. Any ideas?? thx

Sure- you need to get an independent-of-the-SWG salt test kit. The Taylor's K-1766 salt test kit is a simple to use ACCURATE test to base all your salt decisions on. I don't trust a SWG to be able to give an accurate reading and always dose based on my own kit. I kind of ignore the reading of my SWG at this time since it thinks I have 5300ppm when my own test says 3400ppm. I once tested my kit against salt test strips and found they too were lacking.

Bottom line is that no matter what salt level your SWG says you have, if it is happily making the FC you need- all is good!

As the water temperature drops into the 70s and below my SWG will incorrectly register lower and lower levels of salt. When that happens I turn it off and switch to bleach because the chlorine demand is so low anyway. To avoid scaling and having to clean your cell keep the CSI slightly negative, 0 to -0.1. Enter your test results into Poolmath and it will calculate your CSI for you. Our water is fairly hard, not like CA and AZ folks though. My CH runs between 400 and 500 depending on rainfall and I haven't had to clean my cell in over 3 years of operation using TFPC and TF100. In my "amateur" pool days I used to have to clean my cell at least a couple of times a year also.