Water sampling

I have a 250 mL Nalgene bottle that I fill with a pool water sample, bring it inside and do the testing in there, except for CYA testing which has to be done in full sunlight. I also use a 3/4" ID, 4 foot length of PVC and my thumb to draw sample out of the pool from below the surface. Thumb covering the end, push underwater, remove thumb to allow water in the pipe, thumb back over the pipe, then pull the sample out and empty the pipe into the sample bottle. The 4 foot pipe holds plenty to fill the bottle. Hands and arms stay dry doing it that way, which is especially helpful when the pool is cold in the early spring and fall.

I have a 250 mL Nalgene bottle that I fill with a pool water sample, bring it inside and do the testing in there, except for CYA testing which has to be done in full sunlight. I also use a 3/4" length of PVC and my thumb to draw sample out of the pool from below the surface. Thumb covering the end, push underwater, remove thumb to allow water in the pipe, thumb back over the pipe, then pull the sample out and empty the pipe into the sample bottle. The 4 foot pipe holds plenty to fill the bottle. Hands and arms stay dry doing it that way, which is especially helpful when the pool is cold in the early spring and fall.

good idea! ill have to get me a piece of pvc.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 250 mL Nalgene bottle that I fill with a pool water sample, bring it inside and do the testing in there, except for CYA testing which has to be done in full sunlight. I also use a 3/4" length of PVC and my thumb to draw sample out of the pool from below the surface. Thumb covering the end, push underwater, remove thumb to allow water in the pipe, thumb back over the pipe, then pull the sample out and empty the pipe into the sample bottle. The 4 foot pipe holds plenty to fill the bottle. Hands and arms stay dry doing it that way, which is especially helpful when the pool is cold in the early spring and fall.

good idea! ill have to get me a piece of pvc.

Red Solo Cup. I fill you up!

Holds more than enough water to do all the tests at one time at my kitchen table. I don't test once the winter cover goes on and I won't test until at least Late April next year. Winter cover won't come off until around Memorial Day.

I use a condiment squeeze bottle from the dollar store. It holds enough for all the tests, and as a bonus, the tip comes just to the 25 ml line when inverted in the test cylinde. A dollar well spent!

I use a device like this to get a deep water sample -

It's 3/4" diameter PVC ~ 4 ft long with a ball valve and barbed hose adapter (there's a cap on the end but that's just for storage). You insert the open end of tube into the pool with the ball valve closed, open the ball valve until water flows out the top of the barbed fitting, close the ball valve, lift and rotate the open end up out of the water and then open the ball valve over a container to drain the water out of the PVC tube. The amount of water in the tube EXACTLY fills a Leslie's water sample bottle.

This design ensures that I get a water sample from approximately the mid point of my deep end.

Reactions: Wake9909
I have a 250 mL Nalgene bottle that I fill with a pool water sample, bring it inside and do the testing in there, except for CYA testing which has to be done in full sunlight. I also use a 3/4" ID, 4 foot length of PVC and my thumb to draw sample out of the pool from below the surface. Thumb covering the end, push underwater, remove thumb to allow water in the pipe, thumb back over the pipe, then pull the sample out and empty the pipe into the sample bottle. The 4 foot pipe holds plenty to fill the bottle. Hands and arms stay dry doing it that way, which is especially helpful when the pool is cold in the early spring and fall.

This is the best idea I've read about in a long time! Thanks for sharing! And JoyfulNoise even improved upon the idea. Thanks you two!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.