New pool owner in Hicksville, New York

qxixp

Nov 3, 2015
Hicksville/New York
Hi,

I recently bought a house with a L shape in ground pool (36' long, 18' width 1, and 25 width 2). The previous owner didn't bother to close the pool for the winter. I live in New York and it is pretty cold already, so i would like to close the pool as soon as possible.Since this is my first pool, I have a lot of questions and would love to get suggestions from you.

1. Should I hire a professional to close the pool? I've been watching a lot of videos on how to close the pool and they seem to be pretty straight forward.
  2. The previous owner has a safety cover, but it is all torn up... I don't think it can be repaired. They also have a plastic cover, it is a POS and won't be able to properly protect the pool from the winter. What cover do you recommend?
  3. What are the must have items?
  4. Any store that you would recommend?
  5. The pool already has anchors installed, if i get a new safety cover, do I need to install new anchors? My concern is that old anchors now are useless and they are just annoying holes in the ground now...
  6. Since it is cold already, how long does it usually take to get the cover if I order one right away?
  7. Any good videos that you would recommend for me to watch in general?
Thanks!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Just in time for polar bear dips in your pool. :swim: Okay, for you, time is of the essence. Here is the page: Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool. If you feel comfortable doing it, please do. If not so late in the year, sure, have someone do it for you this one time, but be familiar with the instructions link provided so you can be armed with the proper info. You can ask someone to close for you, but still insist on certain things to be done (i.e. no copper algaecides). The key is to ensure your water temp remains below 60 degrees before closing to prevent algae from taking over. But generally, thousands of people close their own pool just fine. It's your call this year.

Covers are nice but not used by all pool owners. There are pros and cons either way. Do a search form our home page about pool covers and you'll see many discussions. Will the old anchors match a new cover? Hard to tell. I imagine it depends on the brand and size, etc. If you close yourself, the must have is the right test kit. I recommend the TF-100 (link below) as it is chock-full of Taylor reagents at a great price. Also ask for the speed stir! Mix like a pro. Never use test strips or rely on the pol store testing. It's either inaccurate or geared towards selling products you don't need. For chemicals, only use items from here: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals. You can get most of these items from your local grocery or home improvement store. Regular (generic) bleach will be your primary sanitizer if you don't have a salt water generator.

KEY: Print this out: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. Understand that your CYA (stabilizer/conditioner) and FC (free chlorine) must be balanced together as noted on this chart. This is to ensure adequate sanitation and safety for the swimmers and equipment. Do that and 95% of your battles are already won. Make sure to read the Pool School page (link below) and you're on your way.

That's a lot of info at first, but let it digest and let us know if you have any more questions. Welcome!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and at your next opportunity, please update your signature with all of your pool equipment. That will be a big help later. Have a nice day!

Hey there Qxixip :) My family is from Oyster Bay!

Your weather necessitates closing, and while folks manage it routinely you might want to have a pro do it this first time so you can learn how its done on your own equipment. Take notes even.

If you decide to have a new one measured for and manufactured, ask the installer about re-using the existing imbedded anchors if it will save money and if they're still serviceable?

If your old cover is a Loop Loc there should be a tag on the underside somewhere that has a serial number. They can make an exact match if they get this number..at least that is what I have been told. I have a company open and close mine every year but maintain my own chemicals using the TFP methods.

Thanks for the replies!

For the cover, I ordered a rectangular winter cover 25 x 40 which is big enough to cover the entire pool (couldn't find a company that makes custom winter covers). I decided to close the pool myself since it is a good opportunity for me to learn every thing about the pool. I have all the items needed to close the pool now and I am going to start the closing process tomorrow while waiting for the cover to arrive.

If your old cover is a Loop Loc there should be a tag on the underside somewhere that has a serial number. They can make an exact match if they get this number..at least that is what I have been told. I have a company open and close mine every year but maintain my own chemicals using the TFP methods.
I have a cleaning company coming to remove all the junks from the previous owner tomorrow. Good thing that I check here before throwing the old Loop Loc cover away. Will try to look for the serial number tomorrow. Thanks!