I met with the owner of the plaster company today

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
I have been unhappy with the quality (look) of the plaster, esp. after they left contaminated water on my sun shelf and it left big marks. They acid washed the pool but over time, all those areas became visible again.

So the guy finally came out today. I showed him our book of all the testing we have done. I talked about TFP, asked if he had heard of you. Nope.

Anyway, he told me that our plaster is one of the hardest to maintain. I didn't get the memo on that. He also said that he thought our pH was too high and should be 7.2 or lower for That plaster. Didn't get That memo. He said bc we didn't have a heater, we would be okay with it being even lower, like 6 something. He said if we lowered the pH, we wouldn't use as much chlorine. He also asked if we had a saturation wheel. Nope. Didn't know we needed one. He also said we needed to keep our TA between 80 - 90.

he offered us two -- no, three suggestions:

1. Lower the pH to 7.2 or below. Wait 2 weeks. If we see improvement, we can keep it that way.
2. If that doesn't work, drain the pool and re-acid wash it again and keep pH at 7.2 OR
3. he would give us a "discount" to change to Pebbletec and we won't have these problems....

I re-reviewed the TFPC chart about pH. We have been in that range. I found this very interesting. This directly contradicts what y'all say about pH recommendations for salt pools.
We decided to try 1 first. Husband is going to go get more acid today.

Do you experts agree with this? It seems strange to me. and we didn't choose pebbletec bc of the texture - no other reason.

Wet Edge | Warranty

This page contains the wet edge startup guide. It's a copy of the National Plasterers Council guide. I would contact wet edge and bring them in on this.

Your plaster is not any more difficult to maintain than any other type.

The first 30 days are critical to good plaster. The contractor should have provided clear instructions on this.

well, we did brush the pool twice a day and the pool was filled immediately. we were not told to test the pool water nor were we told not to use a pool vac (we didn't have one at the time but still). I never registered the plaster - never even gave it a thought! I didn't know they had that kind of thing!! And even their own instructions say BETWEEN 7.2 and 7.6! we didn't put salt in until the next May

ha ha - yeah. my husband said the same thing. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and ASSume he meant while we weren't swimming in it to see if it fixes anything BUT quite honestly I think it was poor application. i've tried to take pics of it but i can't get any good ones.

The plaster saga continues

I tried to find my other thread about my plaster situation but it's gone. Anyway, I wasn't happy with the way our plaster looked - there's drip marks everywhere, there big patches of screwed up color <don't really know how to describe it> and we tried acid washing it and changing the pH. Nothing has worked.

The plaster guy wants to switch us over to another plaster - Pebbletec or something. He said again that it's because of the color it is. I know someone here responded and gave me a link to wet edge and I read it. He didn't believe that color had anything to do with it.

SO the plaster guy is supposed to bring some samples for us to look at. He won't admit that his guys did a bad job and I haven't found anyone who has blue plaster in their pool that I can go look at.....I want to take pictures and prove to him that I know he's full of it.

Will the Pebbletec be easier? What are the advantages to it? I don't know why we didn't choose it to begin with. I have no memory....

Thoughts anyone?

Re: The plaster saga continues

Are you referring to this thread? You didn't chose Pebbletec because of the texture :D

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/107621-I-met-with-the-owner-of-the-plaster-company-today?p=943603#post943603"]troublefreepool[/URL].com/threads/107621-I-met-with-the-owner-of-the-plaster-company-today?p=943603#post943603

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: The plaster saga continues

How the heck did you guys find it? I looked in my threads history and it didn't go back that far.

Yeah, i went back and read it. I just can't believe that this color is hard to maintain. There's nothing to maintain - the plaster, I think, was put down poorly....I wish I could get good pictures !

REgarding teh way the plaster looks. Its called Mottling and is difficult to control unless the plaster installer has a very good understanding of plaster chemistry. The reason it happens is two-fold.
1. The way its applied and experience of the plaster crew
2. the way the plaster is started up (and then maintained immediately thereafter).

Also darker the plaster color, the more noticeable it will be if it happens. A little bit of mottling should be expected but excessive mottling should not happen if the proper application and maintenace is explicitly followed.

Whoever the PB or plaster guy was you told you to keep your pH low is full of it. Do Not let that guy install the new plaster or you will end up with the same problem again.

Here is a link to posts about pool plaster. It would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with this to get an idea of what might be happening.
Start-up Chemistry for Plaster Pools

As for the pH comment, it clearly shows he's never heard of TFP because it is absolutely wrong! It would be exceedingly difficult to maintain water at a pH of below 7 and TA up near 90ppm. At low pH, the bicarbonate alkalinity equilibrium is shifted towards more dissolved CO2. As that dissolved CO2 outgasses form heat, aeration, etc, you pool water pH will rise rapidly as the rate of rise is directly proportional to the amount of dissolved CO2. In effect, you will be adding lots of acid very frequently to maintain such a low pH and then, because the TA will decrease with every acid addition, you will dumping baking soda into the pool like mad to keep the TA from crashing. You will find yourself in a vicious cycle of combating pH rise and adding TA. Eventually you'll run out of money....

So, listen to what Divin' Dave said and DO NOT let that guy anywhere near your pool ;)

Honestly speaking, I love the look of some plaster jobs, but it is so dependent on the quality and experience of the plasterer that I don't think I would ever get plaster. The one thing you can say for PebbleTek and exposed aggregate products is that they very effectively hide a "multitude of sins" from the plasterer. Even PebbleTek can be mottled, but the exposed aggregate evens out and hides a lot of the mottling in the plaster base. This is just my personal opinion about plaster so take it for what it's worth...

No plaster Mfgr suggests holding pH that low. If is is the highest level at which you can go with this company, that is too bad. You need someone that understands basic pool chemistry and maintenance of finishes. This gentleman clearly does not. I'm sorry to hear of this trouble for you, but it's a prime example of a bad install. When they are done right, mottling, and color variation will be at a minimum. Streaks, drips, and the like, are from poor installation techniques and practices. They should not be there, and him blaming you is flat out wrong.

awesome.

That's where I went too and it only showed me 4. Hmmm. I guess I'm retarded.

- - - Updated - - -

No plaster Mfgr suggests holding pH that low. If is is the highest level at which you can go with this company, that is too bad. You need someone that understands basic pool chemistry and maintenance of finishes. This gentleman clearly does not. I'm sorry to hear of this trouble for you, but it's a prime example of a bad install. When they are done right, mottling, and color variation will be at a minimum. Streaks, drips, and the like, are from poor installation techniques and practices. They should not be there, and him blaming you is flat out wrong.

thank you patrick. I was at a loss to explain what I was seeing in the pool. you said it perfectly - I have everything from streaks, long sections of color variation, spots and other stuff I wish I could get pictures of. I have tried several times to take pics but they haven't come out. I would need to get in the water and with a water camera.

We did everything they told us today from day one. I wonder how they plan on doing this -- do they chip out the old plaster? What will happen to my tiles???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.