Plaster discoloration?

itried

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 12, 2014
Angleton, Tx
Kinda hard to see in the pics, but its lighter blue and darker blue streaks in areas. The spa is fine, as it gets darker as you get deeper water. Pool was plastered on 10-16-15. Color is blue surf with abalone shells on the floor. We have beach access in tan (not sure on color name) but its color is all uniform. Is this normal or will it get better? Pool has been brushed at least 2 times daily.

current numbers are

FC: 7
CC: 0
PH: 7.5
CH: 300
TA: 120
CYA: 40

IMG_4586.jpg
IMG_4588.jpgIMG_4591.jpgIMG_4581.jpg

It is difficult to tell how bad the mottling is from the pictures, but it does look somewhat beyond normal.
You should call the plaster company out and get their opinion. They may say to wait and see if it improves. But I don't think it will.
They may try to perform an acid wash to even out the color.
Perhaps have another company come out and see what they say.

No, I don't think it is "grey mottling." Sorry I didn't make that clear. It appears to be "white mottling" of colored plaster.
See this link and read the "white discoloration of color plaster" section: Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems
Since this appears to be a pebble type pool, then "wet troweling" is probably not the issue in this situation. More likely a "calcium chloride addition to the plaster mix" issue.

However, you need to make sure it is not "calcium scale" that has deposited and developed. Look and inspect very closely and determine if the "pebbles" are covered with "white scale" (calcium carbonate), or that the white color is just within the (blue) cement portion. If so, then what I wrote is a possibility.

Blue Smurf is Pebble Tech so hopefully the manufacturer will back it if there is an issue. Make sure to go online to the Pebble Tech site and register for your warranty within the first 30 days. My pool builder that did our replaster never told me this but I figured it out after looking at their site multiple times in the color selection.

so I got down real close and it there is no white, just blue plaster that covers up the pebbles so to speak. kinda hard to see from the pics but I have attached a few more.IMG_4614.jpgIMG_4615.jpgIMG_4609.jpg

could it be possible when they acid washed they just didn't do a good job? same thing between the grout lines on the step markers, its blue plaster like in the pics. I guess depending on the sunlight it looks different.

Based on the close-up pic, it doesn't appear to be a scaling problem.
It may be an inconsistent acid wash with different amounts of aggregate exposed, or the start of the blue color fading, or porosity of the cement portion caused by excess calcium chloride additions.
And adding calcium chloride to color pigments is not advised, and is stated by most pigment manufacturers. And I am not aware of an effective and proper way to remedy that.
Blue pigments are often the most problematic. You may need to wait a month to see if it improves or gets worse.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine is freshly done as of yesterday and is showing the same even before water.

Neighbor 2 houses down had Tahoe Blue put in yesterday and theirs is also splotchy.

Both done by same company as the OP.

discolor1_zpsc7r8iaf2.jpg

So i had the plaster company out in late November. They want to drain and do an acid wash in Feb. if nothing changed. I forgot to ask them will the color fade any? Lighter or darker? I heard it would lighten, not sure tho. Will another acid wash reduce life on the plaster, if so how much? Just undecided on what to do, yes its noticeable in mornings and evenings. Beautiful in full sunlight. Thoughts, suggestions?

An acid wash usually darkens (more vivid color) on colored plaster and pebble pools. But in time the plaster color usually lightens again.
An acid wash shortens the life of plaster about a two or three years; but it depends on the severity of the acid wash; strength of acid and mix, time left on plaster surface, etc.

Thank you very much. After thinking about it for a sec it was the pool guy in charge of our start up that told me it would lighten etc. I'm sure he was just saying that in hopes that I would leave it alone. Has anyone had experience with have to re-acid wash blue surf? How did it compare to before? Thanks all!

When I say the plaster color will lighten and turn white after an acid wash, I am speaking in terms of weeks, just a few months, not years. So your pool guy is correct.

Has anyone had experience with have to re-acid wash blue surf? How did it compare to before? Thanks all!

We are in line to have ours re acid washed. Should be hearing from them within the next couple of weeks (according to PB). Our neighbor (see previous post above) is also planning to seek an acid wash.

If you want to hold off, I'll provide pics. Problem is - we just don't know when.

FWIW

In our consultation with the plaster company rep, he didn't seem at all surprised by the severity of the issue. He mentioned a zero TA treatment but then said he didn't think it would give satisfactory results in our case. Without prompting he recommended we drain and acid wash because they could treat areas independently.

I asked him if this was common. He didn't really answer it but said that they do have more difficulty in the wetter winter months due to trapping water between the gunite and plaster.

Thanks Bill, our rep didn't mention anything about intrapment or being difficult in the winter months. Just said yea I can see your concern. It appears it "got dirty" or something while they acid washed. So he suggested keep TA at 70 and wait until February. I just wonder if it's worth losing a couple years plaster life? I have emailed pebble tec but yet to get a response. I just would like to hear what they suggest.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.