Balancing the chemicals

Hi calgal,

In review of your other thread,
Just finished SLAM, water is cloudy

the next step, is to maintain your water chemistry by the TFP recommendations. Also to familiarize yourself with the ABC's of pool chemistry.
Here are a couple of links for you.
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You didnt mention in your test results what your CYA is, so adjust that if necessary.
Next, your CH is way too low. You may want to retest to make sure there isnt a testing error. If its actually 60, add Calcium Chloride to bring the CH up to within recommended levels
Your TA is OK. Dont do anything to it.
Keep an eye on your pH. Its ok for now, but you may need to lower it over the coming days if it gets any higher.
Maintain your FC level with bleach going forward.

As always, use Pool Math to determine how much of something to add to reach your goal.

Hello everyone and a very happy new year!

The pool has been doing great and I'm keeping up with the maintenance. There have been no surprises and I'm a happy camper :)

My question now is, when the temps are low, do I still need to test every day? I must be honest that I have been slacking off, testing once a week :( but thankfully there have been no fiascos yet. In my defense, the water is SO cold, in the 50's!! What's a reasonable schedule for the winter months?

Thanks all!

Hi calgal,
Happy New Year!

with the water as cold as it is now, and with much lower UV exposure this time of year, Algae doesnt like to grow very quickly and your FC will not drop nearly as quickly as it does in the warmer seasons.

Once a week testing is fine for this time of year. If after a couple of weeks you find your FC doesnt drop below recommended level, then you can stretch the testing schedule out if you want to.

Just be mindful that when the weather starts warming up in Spring that you don't get caught out. It's easy to slide into Winter testing mode but can be harder to wind back into more regular testing again.

As soon as you let your FC drop below the minimum especially if you are unaware of it then you invite the algae back in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.