Research new cleaner

Jan 5, 2008
Geelong Australia
Hi there

I inherited a pool with my new home and it's been a sharp learning curve. Most things have been fairly straightforward and with the help of forum members here, it's been a great help.

With the pool, came a mechanical pool cleaner called a Hydrosweep ( seen here for sale on the Oz eBay site) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-QUESTA-M...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1308

After about 6 months of use it stopped working and I took it to the local pool shop and they sent it the authorised repairer and it was supposedly overhauled for a cost of $200.00. Repair was guaranteed for 3 months. 7 months later same problem. Not under guarantee sent back. Repair cost 160.00. Decided to purchase a brand new one ($329.00) and keep the repaired one as spare. 4 weeks after purchasing the new one the power roller mechanism failed and this time I contacted the distributor personally and explained my frustration. It was repaired under warranty and returned to service. 13 months later exactly the same problem as the original unit has occured ( which is: it loses drive and amongst other things requires the replacement of the "long shaft"). Back to the repairer for a repair, thankfully under warranty. It's still at the repairer.

I realise this is a mouthful but to complete the picture: pool chemistry is perfect (water is tested by the another pool shop I have started using every 4 weeks or so), skimmer basket and filter baskets are cleaned every weekend, filter back-washed and rinsed according to the pressure guage, which with the sweeper working sits in the blue zone at just under 50, leaf litter is just average depending on wind conditions, dust or silt build up (airborne) is again average depending on wind conditions. The cleaner runs an average of 24 hours per week. The cleaner is adjusted as per the manufacturers guidelines so that the drive wheel turns an average 0f 22-24 turns per minute
I no longer have any faith in this type of cleaner for my application any longer and would like some advice on what type of cleaner would suit my needs. Cost is not as important as long term reliability. I've had a look at all the "Kreepy Krauly" style cleaners but really don't know where to start.
Cheers

From the pictures on the ebay listing, you have a suction side cleaner, which requires the pump to run. There are also pressure side cleaners, which also require the pump to run, and may even require a booster pump. Most pressure side cleaners generate suction (vacuum) with a venturi (google polaris cleaner.) There are also electric cleaners that don't require the pump to operate(aquabot, blue diamond, etc..) If you mainly want the bottom cleaned, the AG models have wheels and don't climb walls, the IG versions have tube rollers and do climb walls, although some don't do so well.

The suction side cleaners generally utilize the pool filter to catch debris, and can cause more frequent backwashing, or cartridge cleaning (and wear and tear on the pump.)

The pressure side and electric cleaners usually have their own filters, either a bag, or a cartridge, and don't impact the pool pump system as much(pressure,) or at all(electric.)

All pool equipment requires periodic maintenance, but you should be able to get more service life out of a cleaner then you are now. Besides the Kreepy, there are the shark, the ladybug and myriad other suction cleaners. From reading other posts, it seems that a lightweight hose that is one piece gives better performance then a heavy one, and doesn't fall apart as the sectioned ones can.
Cheers, and best wishes!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.