A little concerned?

eqbob

Jul 25, 2012
Central Texas
So as you may know, here in Texas, we've gotten some pretty decent amounts of rain. My area is more than 9 inches in last 7 days, the most recent being a significant amount last night.

Test results this morning:

Temp 71
Salt: 2700 (Cell says 2500)
pH 8
TA 80
CYA 60
CH 340
FC 6
CC 1.5

Now obviously, there are some issues here. The salt cell is reading as expected if calibrated for 77 and -200 per 5 degree differential. Added in 50 pounds of salt.
It was 2350 (by salt cell) on Friday morning and I dumped in the 20 pounds I had on hand, which brought it up to the reading today.
So salt cell has not been producing that much chlorine obviously if reading salt that low.

The FC is within range certainly, although I like it higher than that. (Yes, I know...not necessary, but I like the protection)
The CC is high, but I'm not sure how much stock to put in that at the moment because of all the rain. We also had a bunch all day yesterday.
CC on Thursday was 0.0

I did take two portions of old bottles of bleach from the end of last "winter" and dump that in and I'll retest in an hour. However, given that we know bleach strength dissipates over time left sitting, not sure how much that will actually add. On new bleach, 18 ounces adds in 1ppm FC.

Water is same as always, perfectly clear, no indication of anything wrong. Flow through filter is good, 10psi on the nose.

I tend to believe that the CC is wacked because of all the rain (I've seen it go as high as 1 just from wind), but......

Thoughts?

Like you, we got pounded. I'd lower the pH right away to your recommended level (somewhere between 7.6-7.8), then increase your FC for a day (hallway to SLAM level) or so just to help knockout anything that may be lingering from the weather. Our sunshine has been a bit forgiving lately, but you may want to watch the CYA as well and try to get that back to the recommended 70 level in the near future. If after a day or so you still have some concerns with the CC, do an OCLT to confirm if you need to consider a SLAM. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.