Leak detection frustration

Lyleh

Oct 15, 2015
Vancouver, BC
I purchased a home this summer with an in ground pool. I noticed the water level going down during the hot days but figured it was evaporation. Now with the cooler weather (Pacific Northwest) we are no longer using the pool but plan to keep it open for the winter months. I noticed the water level was going down by about 1/2 inch per day so started a leak detection process using the bucket method and blocking the skimmer and return lines to eliminate the piping. I also used the dye method to check all underwater fittings and steps. I have concluded that the leak must be in the vinyl liner. The water level kept going down but has now stabilized about 5inches below the normal level and well below the skimmer. I assumed the leak must be at that level but can not seem to find anything around the water level that would indicate a leak (dye test and tactile). My question is would the water level only drain down to the water table level out side the pool (quite high as I am close to sea level and the rainy Northwest) and could the leak actually be below that level? There is no main drain at the bottom of the pool.

My question is would the water level only drain down to the water table level out side the pool (quite high as I am close to sea level and the rainy Northwest) and could the leak actually be below that level? There is no main drain at the bottom of the pool.
That is conceivable but very doubtful. If it does that, there will be no water pressure holding the liner tight to the wall and the liner should be floating.

Check around the steps, light, ladders, returns, anywhere there was an opening in the liner again. Get the dye very close to the openings and go slowly. If you used food coloring to detect the leak try using leak detection dye. It is a little thicker and will not dissipate as quickly as food coloring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.