concentrated liquid bleach vs concentrated germicidal bleach

TJTJ

Oct 18, 2015
Orinda, California
To Forum: is there any difference between liquid concentrated bleach and concentrated germicidal bleach? The liquid bleach is a tiny bit cheaper. I assume both have strengths of 8.25%. Web site does not specify strength. They say 121 oz of concentrated is equivalent to 182 oz of un concentrated. I am assuming I want to buy the regular liquid bleach, but I wanted to check with the board. Whatever I purchase I will check product manufacture date. thanks, TJ

Use Regular ol' bleach. Usually concentrated is the best bang for the buck.

The fancy bleaches such as germicadal, splashless, etc, all have additives in them that you really dont want in your swimming pool. If they are used, most often the additives will make the pool water foam up. There are many reports about it on TFP.

See HERE for the list of ingredients from the Clorox website for "germicidal" bleach. Nothing out of the ordinary -

Water
Sodium Hypochlorite
Sodium Chloride
Sodium Carbonate
Sodium Chlorate
Sodium Hydroxide

The last three ingredients occur as less than 1% each of the total solution. The interesting one to me is the sodium carbonate. It's either intentionally added as a pH buffer or it may be present from the manufacturing process - strongly alkaline solution tend to absorb CO2 from the air. Either way, nothing strange or new with "germicidal" bleach. Just a different concentration and some fancy marketing to make it sell.

Stick to the regular 8.25% stuff and always check your date codes - I found bottles of Clorox bleach on the shelf at my local grocery store that were from December 2014 :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.