phone jack connection

Aug 15, 2014
Hattiesburg, MS
I was having trouble with my motor, and kept trying to repair it. While trying to repair the motor, I believe I stepped on the flow switch cable and pulled the wires out of the telephone jack connection.

I bought a new phone jack connector and tried to replace the original one. When I plugged it in there was a constant red light that read, No Flow. I was not certain if the new connector that I had installed was working.

Since I was not absolutely certain that the phone jack connector was working, I bought a regular phone line. I spliced the factory installed phone jack connection on to the flow switch wire. Same thing red light reading, no flow.

I tried to recalibrate the Mineral Springs, go from auto to off, back to auto, etc. I never heard the mineral springs make the click noise to tell you it is now ready to be calibrated.

The phone jack connection I believe must be working because when I disconnect it the lights go out.

What could cause the Mineral Springs not to make that clicking noise, when you go from auto to off, and back to auto. Could it be that the flow switch and the phone jack connection is not working?

Is the female phone jack connector on the control box damaged? If not, it's still likely the line and connector on the flow switch. Maybe you rewired it incorrectly or also tore a wire somewhere in the line when you accidentally pulled it out. I would replace the entire flow switch minus the PVC tee which is only about $35. When you replace it pay careful attention to the orientation of the flow switch in the line. There will be an arrow on the top of the existing and new flow switches indicating which way they should point.

What wires were in the phone wire? If there were four wires, black, red, green and yellow, then I think that you want the red to connect with one wire and the green to connect with the other wire.

It should be an RJ-11 jack. The two center wires are used.

If the two wires from the flow switch are red and black, I would suspect that you connected red to red and black to black. However, that won't work. Go red to red and new green to original black.

Robdac, I was trying to avoid the purchase of a flow switch, if it was a $2.00 phone jack that was causing the problem. Do you see any alternative to try before I purchase the flow switch?

The flow switch closes a circuit when water is flowing. If the circuit is open you get "No Flow" and the unit will not make chlorine. As a short term test, you could wire a male RJ11 jack so that the circuit is closed to verify the controller is operating properly. From the description of the problem the controller does not appear to be an issue but it might be worth checking out. With the flow switch bypassed the unit should produce chlorine. This is a test only and it should not be left this way for safety reasons.

You can also use an ohmmeter to test the continuity of the wires to the flow switch. When the pump is on the switch is closed and the resistance should be almost 0. If it shows an open circuit (1) you probably have a torn wire somewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.