Pool Pump cover?????

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
PB pulled permits and the city said they do a noise check, the pump can't be louder than 55dB at the property line otherwise I will need to put a sound reduction cover over the pump? Strange, 55 dB is talking level, I am thinking Plywood surround with sound proofing material glued to the inside. This will be a temporary "pass inspection thing" PB also said they will program the pump to run lower. Wow, whats' next.

Are there any pre-made products that do this?

thanks!

PB pulled permits and the city said they do a noise check, the pump can't be louder than 55dB at the property line otherwise I will need to put a sound reduction cover over the pump? Strange, 55 dB is talking level, I am thinking Plywood surround with sound proofing material glued to the inside. This will be a temporary "pass inspection thing" PB also said they will program the pump to run lower. Wow, whats' next.

Are there any pre-made products that do this?

thanks!

when we are talking about dB , we usually have to define where is 0dB level ? surrounding noise at certain times, days ? where is the reference in term of sound ?

55db is lower than talking level which is 60db. Some questions and thoughts: How far would the pump be from the property line? If your getting a VS pump, most of them are very quiet at mid to low speeds. Mine is packed up for the winter so i cant measure the DB's at diff speeds. there are free DB apps for iPhones that you can use to measure the base db at the property line and most likely it will be 55db or more.

I use those foam rubber mats sold at hardware stores for flooring in workshops which have a scalloped edge meant for interlocking multiple mats together. This is mostly for sun shade in the Sonoran desert, because we have a ton of UV which tends to degrade all manner of plastics - less so for sound deadening, but it would work for that. You could build a box out of the foam rubber mats with 2 sides open (bottom & back) and then place this over the pump. Since it's only 1" thick neoprene rubber, they're easy to cut holes and slots to allow fitment around any plumbing, and should drop the dB level considerably. Looks like this;
51rlKQLZ5HL._SX300_.jpg

Be mindful of airflow, however - the pump needs fresh cool air to help cool the motor brushes and windings. Most have internal fans to move air, but recirculating hot air wouldn't do it any good.

I can hardly hear my two-speed on low standing next to it. High is another story however.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.