yet another DFW pool build thread

Oct 15, 2015
DFW, TX
getting a couple of bids but narrowing it down to a list of 2-3 PBs at the moment. Wanting to sink the hot tub into the ground under the master bedroom windows and do a gas fire pit as well.

specs are:

34x22 (92 perimeter)
steel: 1/2" on 12" x 6" and 1/2" 4-bar box beam
gunite: 12" x 16" beam, 6" walls, 6" floors, 8" coves. another PB was insisting on 10" gunite but all the others were 6-8".
2 HP tristar pump 525 sqft cartridge filter (can upgrade to VS for $495)
2 benches, entry steps, tanning ledge
ProLogic 4 controller/automation
790 sqft decking

BrownJill2_001.jpgBrownJill2_002.jpgBrownJill2_003.jpg

Welcome to TFP!
So your SPA would be a standalone (independent of the pool)?
Couple of suggestions:
Make your sunshelf big enough for a lounger and have an umbrella sleeve put in it.
We use that a lot in ours.
What is your depth profile? Sport pool or diving?

I like all the seating available

yes, it's a Bullfrog A8 standalone spa (7'10"x7'10"). one of the PB will sink it into the deck about 12-18" above the decking and include the necessary drainage, access hatch, electrical, etc.. tanning ledge is 33 sqft but I'll follow-up re: umbrella sleeves. We weren't gonna short-change on the sleeves for sure since they're so much easier (and cheap) to put it now than later. it's a sport pool so 3.5'-5'-4'.

we originally had the pool further back in the yard but like it up close so the spa/pit/pool are more integrated and we can leverage some of the existing porch for nearby seating. thought of adding around a 10x10 area at the back of the pool for additional seating where some of the landscaping is now but I'm not sure how often we'd use it if we had to walk through the grass to get to it. suppose we could put like 24-30" of decking along the back edge and have that lead into the 10x10' area but we may not utilize that much seating. We were looking at a salt/skin finish so the decking isn't hugely expensive but still probably looking at another 2k if we added it.

Having enough shade is always important in our Texas pools.

How may lights are you putting in?
General advice is to not direct them toward seating/patio area to prevent the glare.
Also, skimmer location, have one of them at the prevailing downwind location to assist in their operation.

On lighting, projecting away from the house is preferable, as you'll get 'spill' lighting refracting from the surface which would illuminate your house, along with shimmer inside any windows facing the pool. Pretty standard practice to have light coves on the house-side to avoid this. Also, given your dimensions (close to my own) a single LED would be sufficient, draw less current, be less maintenance, and light coves, plumbing and wiring were a $1300 option, per. I'm happy with the one LED (Intellibrite, and in signature line), and think two lights would be too bright. You can change colors, but you can't dim them! Looks nice,

Just consider that when you drop your stand alone hot tub into the ground it will be a bit more difficult to get in to and out of. When you're in your 20s that might not be a problem....but Skippy is an old f*rt :cyclopsani: and would have problems with it.

sidenote: having a stand alone hot tub seems more ideal to me for our climate as its easier (IMO) when separate from the pools plumbing particularly during winter.

Yippee :flower:

Oh goodie! A new build to help spend money on!

I love your design. I don't think I would worry about adding any decking on the back unless you have big parties and get togethers. I like how it set up as drawn.

Spa put into the ground--------long term it might not be the best idea. Harder to get into and out of, harder to repair when needed, harder to replace when needed.

What is your reasoning for wanting it in ground a little? You could always put a bench/deck around it if it is for "visiting" reasons.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
re: in-ground spa. we were going to have it come out of the ground about 18-20" so that it's easier to get in and out of but still not totally block the view from the master bedroom windows. that's the primary reason for installing it in-ground since we don't want to block the view from the windows of the master bedroom with a 38" tall hot tub. if we did do it above ground, we've move it over towards the fence and get it out of the way of the windows and just put some masonry steps around it to ease the transition from deck to spa.

and yes, had planned on the fire pit being close enough to the wall to be used as seating on that one side. not sure how close is too close and how far too far is but that's what we wanted to do with that retaining wall.

Visit someone with a pit to figure out your distances.
I find they don't give off as much radiant heat as a chimenea,
When in a chair you are within range to put your feet up on the pit.
When seated on a surrounding wall you would not be sitting in this manner so distance would be different.

Good thinking on not wanting to block the view! Just think of all of the things-ease of repair/work, getting in and out, replacement as you go over with your PB and decking people the best way to do it and placement.

I think you are very smart to do the stand alone hot tub. Just being able to put a top on it will save you some money and time for heating it.

Kim

Well there you have it-------------a PB that has done them already and has all of the possible "problems" already figured out!

We would love to see the pics of it being done so we can show others thinking of doing the same thing.

Kim

another (more expensive) bid had a 3 HP pump but I'm thinking a 2 HP, 2-speed pump will be more than sufficient? the more expensive bid also had an auto-fill included which is a luxury but maybe not a necessity?

as for equipment location, ideally we'd place it next to the HVAC stuff on the side of the house which would put it near the window in our master bath and semi-close to the master bedroom. is the equipment all that loud while running where this location might be bothersome?

The pump running would be noticeable by a window but no more than an AC compressor.
Since you don't have an integrated Spa, there is no blower @ the equipment pad.
Also no heater, so no gas line needed.
Where is the electrical panel? Where that is can be significant to placement too.

You can also put some kind of cushioned pad under the pump to help with the noise.

I would not want it right by my bedroom window as I love to have my window open and would notice the little bit of noise coming from the pump.

Kim

Just one more comment on the wall bench distance to the fire pit. If I were sitting on the wall, I would want to be able to prop my feet up on the rim of the pit with my knees being bent some. Just something to consider.

a PB that had come in quite a bit higher revised their bid to be more inline with the other bid presented here. Here are their tweaks (they did increase the size of their pool from 85->92 and drop the decking from 855->790 to match the bid presented here for a more accurate comparison) they made to equipment, steel, options, etc.. so I'd appreciate any unbiased opinions.

Filter pump: original had a 3HP Intelliflow and new has a 2HP Whisperflo. I assume the 2 HP will be a bit cheaper to run but perhaps less effective? Is the Intelliflo a VS pump? Looks like maybe it is from a google search

Controller: new bid has a Pentair PSL4. How does that differ from the old bid with a ‘dual timeclock w freeze protection?’ (I assume that was just a manual dial but have asked PB to clarify) Also, would we need the PSL4 without an integrated spa or would a PL4 suffice?

Sanitizer – new bid dropped the pure ozone 85k. what is the difference between the ‘automatic chlorinator’ in the new bid vs ‘chlorine feeder’ in the original bid? I wasn't sold on the ozone technology to start with but how might that automatic chlorinator differ from the chlorine feeder, particularly with respect to the TFP methods of maintaining chemistry.

Eyeballs – dropped from 7 to 5 in new bid. Assume not a huge difference.

Electrical - No 'remote light switch' in the revised bid. I believe this was so we could turn on the lights from the patio/porch instead of heading to the side of the house to get to the control panel. A nicety for sure, not sure how much of an upcharge is here though.

Pool cleaner – Pentair LED racer vs Baracuda MX8 in the new bid. I’d have to look for some online specs to see what the differences there are. thoughts?

Steel schedule: #4 on 10” center vs #3 on 12” center in new bid. again, just a downgrade to match a quote/budget. any concerns here?

Returns: 6 in original, 4 in revised. 1 in ledge in both bids

Gunite - 4000 PSI in original bid, 2000-3000 PSI 8" floors, 6" walls in new bid. what are most of the builds in TX doing? any idea?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.