{ HELP! } Spa pump/motor is suddenly Noisy (with video) { HELP! }

Hello, I'm in need of some help/advice regarding the pump/motor on my spa { I posted this in the 'Pumping Station' section but didn't get any replies (I think I posted in the wrong area)... So I figured that I'd try here. }

My spa just started sounding really loud recently. The spa manual says to "Clean the suction" and/or "Open both valves", but I'm not quite sure what that is.

I took a video of it so you can hear what it sounds like:

Noisy spa - YouTube

Does anyone know if it's the bearings, motor, belt or maybe I need to "lube" the "O" rings??? If it's the pump, should I replace it?

If anyone has any advice or can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much in advance.
LM

Typically, if seals go the pump noise does not change at first. If water is allowed to push pass the seal and get to the bearings, it will progressively become louder as the bearings deteriorate. It is typically an easy fix as long as it is not a bearing contained with the motor itself. If you are a little mechanically inclined, you can more than likely find any of the bearings on mcmaster.com and replace them yourself.

Thank you for your reply Pilotwerx (Sorry for not responding sooner, I was out of the country).

I took the side panel off to get a closer look and now I'm not 100% sure if the noise is coming from the fan/pump (the RED thing on the left) or the motor thing on the right (BLACK)?
Here's a new video (closer up) so you can see what I'm talking about.

Spa pump close-up - YouTube

I've also added a photo of a close up of the pump with the model number and whatnot.

SPA PUMP MODEL - Imgur

It looks like a Smith? - Model # MF5-23030 P4-MT?

Thanks again in advance to anyone who can help me out.

Even if you dead head a pump (shut a valve to stop flow) it will not sound like that. Closing a suction line will cause cavitaion but I have not seen a spa with a suction line valve. I am guessing the bearings in the motor itself need to be replaced. Given you can buy the complete pump for around $115, it may be best to replace the entire unit than replace just the bearings.

Agree Pilotwerx. A new motor instead of a bearing job would be best. I was unsure about the noise.... Only because I have had that type of noise in a portable spa if something is pluging the impellor or a suction valve was blocked. Thirty years a spa tech, but I'm wrong sometimes. Re Lavaman. Is the suction and jet flow still as it was, or is it reduced? That would be telling.

The motor is the black cylinder on the right. The red portion is the pump head. There is no real harm in still using it. At some point it will simply give up on life and stop spinning, usually tripping the circuit breaker or blowing the fuse in the process. With that, when they stop spinning, they are fairly easy to replace with a new unit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay thanks a million Pilotwerx.

You mentioned above that I could get a pump for around $115 - is that the same thing as the cylinder motor?

If so, where can I get one at around that price? I've looked online and it seems that they go for $200+.

Thanks again for all of your help. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.