Water level

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and hope to gain some valuable information from this site. I have an inground chlorine pool. When we uncovered it, the water had drained down all the way into the deep end, the shallow was dry. We figured that we had a tear in the liner, and decided to replace it because it was pretty weathered looking. So we got a new liner at the beginning of the summer. The guy installed it and told us that everything looked good, the concrete underneath was solid, and he didn't see any indications of leaking. Filled the pool up and everything was great. The new liner looks awesome. So I live in Louisiana, where it is ridiculously hot and humid. I noticed that I had to add water to the pool about every 3 or 4 days. I just assumed it was evaporation since it is so hot here. We covered the pool a couple of weeks ago. I cleaned acorns and leaves off the cover today, and noticed that the water level was way down again. Not sure how low, but it is below the skimmer level and the top 2 steps were dry. I know that this new liner is not ripped, so my question is where is this water going? Could it possibly be in the plumbing? I haven't noticed anything around the pool such as a soggy ground. I am not that knowledgeable about the pool, but I need to know how to find out where the leak could be occurring. Any help or insight to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

We need to know a bit more... at a minimum. Do you have a main drain (at the bottom of the pool)? If so, there may be leakage there or in the connected plumbing. If not, and you are sure that the water is below the skimmer level, the only place I can image a leak is in the liner or equalizer line, if you have one.

Kevin- your pump is turned off...right? Do you have a multiport valve out of position?....anything strange like a hose in the pool draining by gravity? ..Is your equipment pad area wet?

If you can't find it you're probably going to have to hire a leak-detection company to come find it with their fancy equipment.

No, I do not have a drain in the bottom of the pool. I am not sure what an equalizer line is? Sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the pump is turned off. The multiport valve is in the correct position. No hoses in the pool. Not sure about the pad being wet, it has been raining here for the past week. I will check that when the sun comes out.

OK, how many (intentional) holes are in your liner? Skimmer? Return Jets? The equalizer lie will probably be a small grate below the skimmer.

Look at it this way: Water can leave the pool for three reasons... 1) Evaporation, 2) A leak, 3) a siphon. If you haven't left a hose in the water that could siphon out water or be siphoning water through your valves and backwash system, we can probably eliminate that one... especially if you have no bottom drain and the water is lower than the skimmer(s). A plain, old fashion leak (however improbable) is about all that is left.

Some pictures would help...

We have the skimmer, 3 return jets, a light, and a hole that is above the light that we don't know what it is for. (We bought the house with the pool, we didn't have it installed) I can try to get some pictures this weekend, but it is supposed to rain all weekend and the cover is on. What specific parts would you need a picture of? I really appreciate the help.

Kevin

Kevin, we're just trying to wrap our heads around where the water is going.... specifically, any point still covered by (at least some) water, when the pool has drained down. IOW, if the water has drained past the skimmer, there is some point lower than that still leaking. Parts of interest would be: "the skimmer, 3 return jets, a light, and a hole that is above the light that we don't know what it is for." Is there any fill hose or vacuum hose still hanging in the water?

I finally got a chance to look under the cover after work today. (The rain has been ridiculous around here lately). The water level is right below the return jets. I looked in the skimmer as well, and there is still water down where to basket sits. So it looks like it is leaking out where the return jets are. So my question is.....is the leak in the plumbing or around the jets? How could I test to I find that out?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
(1) To me, it sounds like you have a siphon situation where the water level drops until it sucks air .... (from your description) from the jets ..... and breaks the siphon. Make sure the valve is set to "pump," although there could still be a bad seal in the valve causing the same problem.

(2) If it is leaking, as you describe: "The water level is right below the return jets.," then I would suspect a leak in the skimmer.

If you can identify that the cause is Item 1, there may be some self help. If not, you may (as has been suggested) have to call the installer back and get him to explain the situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.