Frustrated and Broke Algae Winning

Oct 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I am new but have read TFP some time. Now I am losing a battle. I live in Phoenix. My pool is around 30,000. I knew my water was old and hard and my filter sand needs changed and the CYA is 120. So far I have spent over $250 with no luck in knocking out the Algae. I was waiting to drain my pool so I let it go.....too much go. I was told I need to wait for cooler temps (low 80's) to drain the pool. That is probably another month. I don't want to be breeding mosquitos. :( Tomorrow I will have used 50 pounds of Turbo Shock at 9 pounds per day (that math seems a little off??). I also started with a bottle of TruBlu 4 month bottle of algaecide. 32 ounces all on the first morning. Pump has run non-stop. I have brushed daily. At this point I do not see any change!!! Are there any good suggestions out there? I know use liquid chlorine, drain some and add water to get CYA down. Oh pH was tad high, 7.8 I think. 2800 particulates, I need to learn all of this instead of relying on the pool store guys who just go ka-ching. If I keep hitting it with shock will it really go away...one day. Thank you...looking forward to my education.

Welcome to TFP. :wave: We are very glad you found us. Too bad you have spent so much on products that don't work, but we will soon have you all fixed up.

I'm assuming you are currently using a pool $tore for testing. They are not good at it and are more wrong then right. So first thing you are going to need is a good test kit. I recommend the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. You will want to add the XL option and might as well get the speed stir while you're at it.

Next thing is some reading. Start with this: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Then read this: SLAMing Your Pool

Pictures will be helpful, too. Take them daily. Find a feature the extends into the water, like stairs or a ladder, even the hose on the vacuum will work. Take a picture of it as it goes down into the water. Take the same pic each day so you and us and see how things are progressing.

Hello and welcome to TFP. :wave: It definitely sounds as though you are receiving some bad (pool store) advice. Your CYA could actually be higher than what you think, and water temp has nothing to do with being able to rid your water of algae. It's purely a sanitation issue (balance between CYA and FC) and the pool store won't help you with that. In fact, those numerous bags of turbo shock are probably making the situation worse. Besides reading the links pabeader provided above, you really need to do two things right now:
- Order the TF-100 test kit right away. That's the best way to ensure accurate readings yourself. It's packed full of Taylor reagents at a great value. Ask for the speed stir as well.
- Put nothing else in your water right now except for about 1 gallon of regular liquid bleach (generic is fine). That's just to try and maintain a status quo. Until your kit arrives, read those links Bob provided, especially the SLAM page. Once you get your TF-100, report back with a full set of test results and you'll be surprised how well you can clear your water. But stay way from the pool store. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and please update your signature with all of your pool inf. It will help us later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.