Advice on continuing SLAM or drain

Feb 5, 2015
Austin
After 2 years of pucks, I'm done. Algae really picked up near the end of this year. Started the SLAM and ordered the TF100. Pool store said CYA was 60. My CYA test says 90-100. Brought CL up to 36 and SLAMmed for 1 week. While the pool looks a little better, I can still brush green algae daily.

Should I cut the cord with the SLAM and drain and start over with Clorox and muratic acid? I'm thinking of draining about 75% and filling before the wastewater averaging kicks in on Sunday.

Current levels:
FC 36
pH 7.8
CC 0
TA 10
CYA 90

I would suggest that you dilute your test water 50/50 with tap water and re-check your CYA. It may be well over 90.... and that would explain why you aren't making the expected progress.

A FC value of 36 and green water with no CC looks odd. A SLAM might go better with your pH closer to 7.2.

I would suggest that you dilute your test water 50/50 with tap water and re-check your CYA. It may be well over 90.... and that would explain why you aren't making the expected progress.

A FC value of 36 and green water with no CC looks odd. A SLAM might go better with your pH closer to 7.2.

Keep in mind, PH reads higher above a FC of 10.

Mike,
Your CYA is too high to efficiently SLAM to pool. It can be done, but will take a LOT of bleach. Even if you do clean it up, the CYA is still too high for efficiently maintaining the FC.

My advice would be partial drain and refill and SLAM. Then use liquid chlorine fro now on.

After 2 years of pucks, I'm done. Algae really picked up near the end of this year. Started the SLAM and ordered the TF100. Pool store said CYA was 60. My CYA test says 90-100. Brought CL up to 36 and SLAMmed for 1 week. While the pool looks a little better, I can still brush green algae daily.

Should I cut the cord with the SLAM and drain and start over with Clorox and muratic acid? I'm thinking of draining about 75% and filling before the wastewater averaging kicks in on Sunday.

Current levels:
FC 36
pH 7.8
CC 0
TA 10
CYA 90

Mike,
Your CYA is too high to efficiently SLAM to pool. It can be done, but will take a LOT of bleach. Even if you do clean it up, the CYA is still too high for efficiently maintaining the FC.

My advice would be partial drain and refill and SLAM. Then use liquid chlorine fro now on.

Thanks everyone. In theory, if you drained half the pool, would the CYA be cut in half? Or because I'm pulling water from the bottom to drain is the math not that simple?

In theory, yes. However, the question is the accuracy of the CYA test.

Assuming you have a CYA of 90 (and I think it might be higher than that), it is going to take a LOT of beach to SLAM.... and if you finally make it through the SLAM successfully, it is going to take a LOT of bleach to maintain the minimum safe chlorine level.

Better to make SURE of the CYA level.

I assumed that your pH test was taken PRIOR to raising the chlorine level... if it wasn't, you cannot test the pH accurately, until your chlorine is below 10ppm.

Hey Matt,

I'm kind of in no-man's land between Austin and Round Rock off of 620. Currently draining the pool now, but all the rain has made it somewhat clearer!

Can't wait to get this thing cleaned and filled back up!

Where are you at?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.