Help:Replacing concrete with interlock around spill-over spa

iskubits

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I need to cut concrete around spill-over spa since I have a leak in air line. What I am debating is:

1) Cut a piece of concrete to get to airline and pour with new concrete.
The thing is that I do not know how many cuts I need to do - maybe 4 or 5 to find exact spot where airline is leaking. Also, new concrete will not match the color of my existing one.

2) Cut octagonal shape all around the spa and redo it with interlock.
I like this idea as it will be cleaner and will allow for easy access to the spa in the future should something else go wrong.

-I want to make sure that by going with option 2, spa will stay in place. My understanding is that deck is not really suppose to hold the spa and was done after spa was fixed in place, BUT
-The spa lip is actually 1/8 of an inch in the concrete - will I be able to remove all the concrete without damaging spa ?

I need to make up my mind in the next couple days.
Thanks.

And here is the picture (maybe someone has a better idea how to fix the spa :)) :

IMG_0730.jpg

Or should I just cut the required openings and pour new concrete ? I guess there is a reason concrete is most popular option for pool decks ?

Please advice as I need to get repair done before opening the pool in 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

iskubits said:
I need to cut concrete around spill-over spa since I have a leak in air line. What I am debating is:

1) Cut a piece of concrete to get to airline and pour with new concrete.
The thing is that I do not know how many cuts I need to do - maybe 4 or 5 to find exact spot where airline is leaking. Also, new concrete will not match the color of my existing one.

2) Cut octagonal shape all around the spa and redo it with interlock.
I like this idea as it will be cleaner and will allow for easy access to the spa in the future should something else go wrong.

-I want to make sure that by going with option 2, spa will stay in place. My understanding is that deck is not really suppose to hold the spa and was done after spa was fixed in place, BUT
-The spa lip is actually 1/8 of an inch in the concrete - will I be able to remove all the concrete without damaging spa ?

I don't know anything about these spas and how they are mounted, but I fear if you cut an octagon (assuming two of the sides will be on the existing joint...?) then the deck will have little triangles of concrete remaining between the octagon and the existing deck joint. Might crack the deck here. I think I would cut the deck out in the entire area between the existing deck joints and re-pour -- but that's just me $0.02. I know it may not match perfectly.... looks like acid wash or sand-blasted w/o any color? might not be too bad.

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.