Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help:Replacing concrete with interlock around spill-over spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Help:Replacing concrete with interlock around spill-over spa

I need to cut concrete around spill-over spa since I have a leak in air line. What I am debating is:

1) Cut a piece of concrete to get to airline and pour with new concrete.
    The thing is that I do not know how many cuts I need to do - maybe 4 or 5 to find exact spot where airline is leaking. Also, new concrete will not match the color of my existing one.

2) Cut octagonal shape all around the spa and redo it with interlock.
    I like this idea as it will be cleaner and will allow for easy access to the spa in the future should something else go wrong.

-I want to make sure that by going with option 2, spa will stay in place. My understanding is that deck is not really suppose to hold the spa and was done after spa was fixed in place, BUT
    -The spa lip is actually 1/8 of an inch in the concrete - will I be able to remove all the concrete without damaging spa ?

I need to make up my mind in the next couple days.
    Thanks.

And here is the picture (maybe someone has a better idea how to fix the spa ) :

16K gallons Vinyl Inground with spill-over spa. 1.5 hp Pentair UltraFlow, 26" Pentair Meteor sand filter, Raypak Gas heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help:Replacing concrete with interlock around spill-over spa

Or should I just cut the required openings and pour new concrete ? I guess there is a reason concrete is most popular option for pool decks ?

Please advice as I need to get repair done before opening the pool in 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance.
    16K gallons Vinyl Inground with spill-over spa. 1.5 hp Pentair UltraFlow, 26" Pentair Meteor sand filter, Raypak Gas heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by iskubits
    I need to cut concrete around spill-over spa since I have a leak in air line. What I am debating is:

1) Cut a piece of concrete to get to airline and pour with new concrete.
    The thing is that I do not know how many cuts I need to do - maybe 4 or 5 to find exact spot where airline is leaking. Also, new concrete will not match the color of my existing one.

2) Cut octagonal shape all around the spa and redo it with interlock.
    I like this idea as it will be cleaner and will allow for easy access to the spa in the future should something else go wrong.

-I want to make sure that by going with option 2, spa will stay in place. My understanding is that deck is not really suppose to hold the spa and was done after spa was fixed in place, BUT
    -The spa lip is actually 1/8 of an inch in the concrete - will I be able to remove all the concrete without damaging spa ?
    I don't know anything about these spas and how they are mounted, but I fear if you cut an octagon (assuming two of the sides will be on the existing joint...?) then the deck will have little triangles of concrete remaining between the octagon and the existing deck joint. Might crack the deck here. I think I would cut the deck out in the entire area between the existing deck joints and re-pour -- but that's just me $0.02. I know it may not match perfectly.... looks like acid wash or sand-blasted w/o any color? might not be too bad.

Steve
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]

4. Back To Top    #4

If I were to redo with new concrete, I would just cut required openings. Octagon was in the event I will redo the cut area with stone/interlock.