Getting ready to SLAM salt water pool in low but ok salt range - recommended?

I read that it is less efficient to keep FC numbers too high so I am not doing my SLAM perfectly. Although, there is improvement in depth of green color every day. I brush and vacuum every day. I like the Jandy Leaf Master, it even picks up sand and silt fallen in from our rock waterfall. I also found this under Miscellaneous on TFP site - so I feel a little better about acid washing my cartridges:

1. If the filter has a coating of alage, calcium carbonate (residue from calcium hypochlorite), iron, or other minerals, soak the cartridge in a solution of one part muriatic acid to twenty parts water until all bubbling stops.WARNING: Failure to remove all oils and cleaning solution before acid soaking will result in a permanent restriction of water flow and cause premature cartridge failure.

What is a sign of cartridge failure? increased pressure? dirty return water?

Attachments

• 2nd long shot.jpg
    2nd long shot.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 33
  • 2nd close up.jpg
    2nd close up.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 33
You wrote :"I read that it is less efficient to keep FC numbers too high so I am not doing my SLAM perfectly. "
This statement deeply concerns me. Where did you read that? I certainly hope it wasn't on TFP SLaM instructions. Where ever you read that, it is not correct.
Not Maintaining the proper FC level is only going to lead to a less than optimal result. The levels that are set forth in the table are based on scientific study and need to be followed to ensure a complete algae kill and cleanup. Anything less and you risk the algae gaining a new foothold and you may have to start the SLaM all over again.

With your CYA of 60 you should be at 24ppm FC at all times. Check it often and add back as needed to Maintain that level.

As far as cartridge replacement, what I've read is when the bands are completely gone or loose, it's probably time. The other way is, if after you do a complete clean, your pressure doesn't drop to near your original psi. Also, if you notice an unexplained drop in psi, that could indicate a hole in one of the pleats.

You wrote :"I read that it is less efficient to keep FC numbers too high so I am not doing my SLAM perfectly. "
This statement deeply concerns me. Where did you read that? I certainly hope it wasn't on TFP SLaM instructions. Where ever you read that, it is not correct.
Not Maintaining the proper FC level is only going to lead to a less than optimal result. The levels that are set forth in the table are based on scientific study and need to be followed to ensure a complete algae kill and cleanup. Anything less and you risk the algae gaining a new foothold and you may have to start the SLaM all over again.

With your CYA of 60 you should be at 24ppm FC at all times. Check it often and add back as needed to Maintain that level.

As far as cartridge replacement, what I've read is when the bands are completely gone or loose, it's probably time. The other way is, if after you do a complete clean, your pressure doesn't drop to near your original psi. Also, if you notice an unexplained drop in psi, that could indicate a hole in one of the pleats.

I read it in a comment by a TFP Expert on a thread in this Algae topic. But what I meant to say was that my numbers have been in the 30s instead of the target 24.

My numbers today are:
CH - 160
TA - 170
CYA - 50
Salt - 2000

I cannot measure my FC until my shipment of 0871 arrives. I feel that it has not fallen under 24 , but we shall see. Do I now need to target 20 since my CYA has fallen? And I am holding off on adding salt, not sure if I need to, and my low CH concerns me, and the TA has come down from 225 four days ago, which I think is okay. It has been raining here for days in Houston. I am also looking for a suction side leak because I am noticing air pockets at my pump basket. The filter pressure increases every day, too, by 5 psi, so I clean the cartridges every other day and they have a lot of algae slime buildup.

Having the FC higher than the target is not efficient, in that you will use more chlorine than is necessary to accomplish your goal. It won't stop or slow your progress it just wastes some chlorine. Having the FC below the target will allow algae to grow faster than its being killed and you will be losing ground in your battle.

I am having a problem. Pressure on my filter is raising to the red line today, just four hours after cleaning the cartridges. My pump basket is getting air bubbles. I briefly checked valves and pvc elbows and o ring on the pump basket cover by running a hose over top to see if the basket would fill from a leak spot....read that somewhere on here.... . It was actually an air pocket that spanned the whole window. When I shut the system off, emptied the pump basket, depressurized the filter and then turned the system back on, it was worse. When this happened to a lesser degree yesterday, after cleaning the cartridges, there were no bubbles except for the allowable champagne bubbles for a SWG system.

I can't run the pump 24/7 for my SLAM if I think the pump will run partially dry overnight. Any suggestions?

I cannot thank you enough for all of everyone's help, you are saving me. I am resuming this in a different location since I had some equipment questions - and I will keep it there on the advice of a forum member.

Topic: Pumping Station
Thread: air pockets forming

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.