Replace pool pump motor with dual/variable speed, without replacing entire pool pump?

Oct 14, 2015
Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I currently have a Pentair Sta-rite max-e-pro 2 hp single speed motor. I am debating on whether rehabbing the motor (replacing bearings, etc), vs buying just the motor assembly (taking motor half off, replacing it with dual or variable speed motor) in total without redoing the plumbing.

has anybody done that? And if they had, what do I look for when doing that?

I replaced the motor on my 1.5hp Max-E-Pro a couple of years ago with a two speed motor, so it is definitely possible. What is the model number of your current pump: possibly P6RA6G-207L or P6E6G-208L? Also, what is the service factor (s.f.) listed on the plate?

yes it is a p6ra6g-207L. A motor # 196251 The S.F. HP is 2.20. Which did you use to replace it?

Edit: Ok now I understand S.F., HP and why it matters. The motor has to equal or be below my max 2.2, and has to match the mount.

If I had to peg it, I'm looking at this motor.

A.O. Smith 2 HP Square Flange 2-Speed Up Rate Motor - UQS1202R - INYOPools.com

From what I understand, I'll also need to change the timer. Probably these.

Amazon.com : Intermatic T10604R Pool/Spa Control Center T106M and T104M : Electrical Timers : Patio, Lawn Garden

Is there any issue with going up in Horsepower on a dual speed/variable speed, but keeping it on the lowest speed for quieter performance? This is assuming a person never actually cranks up the speed and leaves it on low. (this is just a curiosity question).

Another option is the Century B2983. At low speed, it draws almost half the current of the motor you linked. The only issue is that the B2983 is a 56Y (6 1/2" diameter) frame motor and I believe your current motor is a 48Y (5 5/8" diameter). Some people say you can remove the existing motor pad to make it work. What I did was purchase a new base (Pentair C104-79P, $35-40). This is the base for the Sta-Rite 3hp pump. All of the mounting holes line up perfectly. Make sure you replace your seal. I also replaced the two main o-rings.

I can't answer your other questions, but Century also makes the B2984 which is 2.6 Total HP.

A.O. Smith Motor, Sq Fl E-plus,full,2 Speed 1-1/2 Hp 230v (b2983) - INYOPools.com

I did this on my 1.0hp (full-rated) Whisperflo. You can keep your existing timer and just add a hi-lo (SPDT) switch. I put it on the side of the timer box and ran one new conductor from the switch to the motor. I only run it on high to vacuum or backwash so I switch it manually. I found the skimmers work just fine on low speed. The only reason for a second or replacement timer is if you need to run a cleaner on high speed every day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.