Oct 18, 2015
Florida
So before I could even get poison or traps in to deter the rats which had caused previous damage to my MiniMax NT heater, they made a nest in the heater! :O I chased them out and fixed the damage. Two more chewed through wires and the end of the air hose. When I try the heater now, the blower runs and the propane line opens but the igniter does not glow. After three attempts the unit gives three flashes on the indicator lights and locks out the ignition. I disconnected the wires going to the igniter and I get about 12V AC constantly, whether it is trying to fire or not. The first time I started it up after I spliced the wires and tube, there was a loud pop. Did something blow? Could it be the transformer?

I'm getting really tired of dealing with all the damage to this heater. yes, I do have poison and traps now.

I tried to light the burners with a bbq lighter when I heard the propane come on. It lights for about 5 second then goes out. I repeat this three or four times and then get the ignition lockout. So maybe it's not the igniter. Maybe there is something else wrong.

Moth balls can most time keep the rodents out. Also a product call Bobcat Urine works as well. They think a bobcat, predator, is there and they stay away usually.

As for the issue you have now, well I'm wondering if you blew the control module. Easy enough to tell, is the red led still flashing when it fails to light? If it was the transformer, you unit would then be dead with no display and nothing would work. As for the ignitor, you should have 120V between the two wires that go to it when it gets a signal to glow.

Thanks, I will try the mothballs as well.

Yes, still get three red light flashes after it does not light. I was wondering why it goes out when I light it with a bbq lighter. If I'm not getting 120V to the igniter what should I check next?

If you're not getting the 120 at the igniter, you have a bad control module. It won't stay lit as the igniter is also the flame sensor and if the control module is bad, it won't get the signal back to say it lit. Does the igniter look OK? I've seen the module also blow the igniter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.