Outdoor TV

Oct 19, 2015
Burleson, Texas
Anyone have a tv mounted outside? I really don't want to spend 2K for an "outdoor" tv. I read that the biggest killer of tvs is heat. I know they make covers and it would be under my back patio which is protected from the elements. I was thinking if I've got to drop a few hundred bucks every few years in a tv that it wouldn't be that bad. You can get tvs so cheap now I can't see spending the cash on one made for outdoors. Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a buddy that has one mounted outside. The first tv he always kept it covered, i think it lasted 6-9 months. The issue he found is that with the cover on all the time is it wasn't breathing and holding in moisture (it gets humid here). He now just keeps it uncovered unless there's gonna be heavy rains or what not and this one has lasted yr and half so far.

I'm on my second house with a TV mounted outside. The first was in the DC suburbs and my current house in SC. I just build a box to keep,the rain off and I've never had a problem including with snow on the ground.

In south Louisiana, I've had a cheap 32" Dynex HD (Best Buy) mounted under my back patio for 5 years now and still works like a charm. It's mounted high enough under the over hang where it never get's wet. I do not cover it at all. Had doves nest behind it a couple of years and never had a problem.

Same flat screen for 3 years.Take down around mid , late October.
Put back up in April or when the weather permits to sit outside.
Mounted just under edge of eave of roof covered, open deck, about 2 1/2 feet back from gutter.
Cover with a flat screen cover only when high winds and rain expected, only rain, no I don't.
Not worth the thousands in my opinion to get a TV that will be out dated that is expected to last for many years outside.
I was close to buying one myself, glad I chose not to.I can buy 10 of these and be ahead and have the most current tech. options and not something 10 years old and trying to save. due to initial cost.

We move the 50" smart TV from living room to patio all the time. We leave it out 3-4 days a week during summer, covering it with the foosball table tarp at night or if its going to rain.

Put a full motion tilt mount on middle of wall under the patio and figured out a quick release where we undo a few screws and take it off with part of the mount still on the back. The other 1/2 stays on the patio wall. The TV then goes back on a stand in living room.

Its very quick to do.. so it goes back and forth alot for about a year now. TV still works great inside and out!

My cheap tv has been on the wall of a covered patio for over two years with no issues. We even had baby birds behind it this spring. As soon as they left I cleaned it out and keep it clean now. Mama bird is back and yelling at me for messing up her stuff! The TV was probably 5 years old before we moved it outside. Wireless directv and chromecast make it all good.

Mine is under a patio roof and left open. But, a friend has his on an exposed 2 story brick wall and he uses a BBQ grill cover on it when it is going to rain. It's been out there at least a couple of years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well if you set it pretty far under the patio, don't need to enclose it, really. They do make nice TV covers but a foosball tarp or BBQ cover works too. This TV is not in the corner but it swivels over...
5015a581279d2d9ef4d54aca5fae24f4.jpg

We already had 2 speakers hardwired under porch so we just got a bluetooth capable receiver and ran wire on top of fence for 2 more speakers around pool. Can play TV, pandora, ipod, radio or phone music and can change from 2 or 4 speakers as needed.

Couldn't afford Sonos right now but like that best. Could have got wireless for the poolside speakers too but these outdoor ones work great as it is.

I'm on my second house with a TV mounted outside. The first was in the DC suburbs and my current house in SC. I just build a box to keep,the rain off and I've never had a problem including with snow on the ground.
My friend also has a TV on his patio with a box, and he hasn't had any problems. I would recommend mounting the TV to the outside of your house in the most covered area and getting an attachment so it can swivel to where you want. The more cover it gets, the better.

We have SONOS. A Playbar in the living room puts TV sound into the SONOS system and then we can broadcast TV sound to all SONOS speakers inside and outside.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.