Need advice to stop a slow drip

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
Key West, FL
The good news....I opened once again to crystal clear water, yeah!

After circulating the water with a portable submersible, I tested yesterday.

FC 3.5
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 100
CYA 40 (either testing error from last year or this makes no sense to me...I should have <20 based on readings last August....) Does cold water make it test lower or higher or just skews the results? I thought I let it warm up enough....
Ya gotta love BBB opening to a FC residual.... :mrgreen:

I know I won't be swimming for another 5 weeks at least....what can I say, I'm anxious for summer to arrive.... :hammer:

Anyway...now the bad news. I have had a slow drip at one of the connections.... the original install included some kind of cement around a fitting that went in to the hole on the lower right side of the filter.
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-97362243917583_2035_23495215
Over this fitting we place a rubber union to connect it to the hard-plumbing pvc leading to the heater.

Two years ago the cement looking stuff developed a slow drip, and I never did anything about it. So putting the connections on this year, hubby pulled away most of the old stuff, whatever it was...and applied a bead of silicone caulk.

Still leaking, I guess he didn't do a thorough job or the caulk wasn't the right choice.

So what do we use to fix this drip and will I have to drain the filter to make the drip stop, or is there something magical :wink: we can apply on top of this area to make the drip stop, even though it's wet?

Hope this makes sense....I'm looking for the easiest way out here.... :oops:

You can try epoxy pool putty, which is probably what they used. However, it does seem to break down over time and start leaking again.

The fitting should be a threaded one and if it was leaking it sounds like they either didn't use enough teflon tape or too much.

Thanks Evan, I think that's exactly what happened, and overtime it began to crack and leak. Probably should have taken it apart and started fresh... :oops: .

Is epoxy Pool putty at all like "plumbers Goop" or do I need to get it somewhere "special" like the pool store :rant: ?

And can I make these repairs with the water flowing through or will I have to take it all apart? :shock: :grrrr:

Ann, #1 - sorry you are having this problem :(

#2 - sounds like this was a problem that 'came with the pool' :x

If you are able - do what I refer to as the 'triple threat' --- remove the old Teflon tape and put 3 wraps on the threads (as per Tim's advice here) and then apply some Permatex or similar thread paste to the threads and use a rubber o-ring to really help seal it - put the o-ring on before applying the Permatex.

I hope you know how much I want you to have a Trouble Free Pool :!: You always are there for other folks and it's just not fair that you should have a problem with your pool :evil:

Pool putty is the same as plumbers epoxy putty. It's a 2 part putty that you mix together. It is supposed to cure even underwater but it can be a bit tricky to get it to stick without forming a water bubble underneath it. I would take Ted's advice and break the fitting down and redo it with the teflon tape and pipe dope.

Ann,
As a closet plumber...bet you didn't know that...but I did all the plumbing up at the lake for my dad...The one thing you need to have hubby do is get a plumbers thread cleaning brush...One thing I thought about after we talked...was if there is any of the hard plumbers putty left in the threads...you need to completely clean that out...If not you will not get a good seal in the groves of the thread...if you don't have one...have him go to Lowe's, Home Depot or what ever...it looks like a baby bottle cleaning brush but it is made with steel bristles. It will get all the hardend gunk out of the threads. Then go ahead and use teflon tape...it doesn't harden up and stays more pliable year after year...once that putty hardens on something like you filter it can begin to crumble...The teflon tape is good because you can just peel it off next year and then start over with three or four new wraps of tape...and you have a great seal.

Beave

Dave went out last evening, the surfaces had dried, pump was off, slathered on somemore silicone caulk. We agreed the first time we have to drain the filter for cart cleaning we'd take the fitting off and fix it properly.

Thanks for the advice all! (And Ted, your very sweet concern! :-D )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.