Need the Best solar pool cover for Unheated pool

Sep 29, 2015
La Porte, Texas
We are buying a house with a in ground Vinyl pool, No heater, and won't close for another 10 days.
So I am looking for the Best (Yeah I Know) Solar pool cover, with the best

(1) thermal efficiency e.g. heats the water up the most
(2) durability/ longest lasting.

Growing up we had a black plastic, Armalon (R) type cover and I swam year round.
I would like to do that with this pool as well

Who makes and sells what I need?

When I was younger(a long time ago) I was a life guard at a local motel pool. We had a solar cover that lasted forever. It was the same one for the 5 years I worked there, it was there when I started working there and was still in use after I left. I wish they were still made that way today. Forget trying to find the unicorn. Solar covers don't last all that long anymore. They also do not live up to their name as for heating. In cooler weather with full sun, you will gain some heat but, the primary job of a solar cover is to prevent heat loss due to evaporation. Once the air temp cools down to below the water temp the cover should be on. If the air temp is higher than the water temp it should be off.

Forget durability. I had a high end ($$$$) cover once and it lasted maybe 3 years before it started to fall apart. I now have a cheap ($30) cover and it is at the end of it's 3rd season and I may be able to get next season out of it.

Some say the darker colors will transfer more heat to the water and some will claim the clear will allow more radiant energy to get to the pool. I have never seen much in the way of scientific evidence to back up one claim over another.

Clear is supposed to pull in more radiant energy correct

This post
and this thread describes the difference you can expect in the various solar covers. The main drawback with a clear cover is that while it does pull more heat in, it also allows UV rays to pass, thus chlorine breaks down quicker than with a darker cover.

I have found the 8 mil size to be a reasonable cost and easy to handle on my own.

I go with blue as that does heat the top foot of water while keeping the uv from breaking down
the chlorine faster than a clear would.

a good balance in my opinion of actual use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.