What a difference

Aug 22, 2015
Arlington/TX
My wife and I bought a home back in June with a pool. The previous owners seemed to not do much with it as they just had a pool guy come and that was that. Well when we bought the home, we got 3 months with the same company. I don't think they ever did much more than throw chlorine in and vacuum. They definitely never backwashed. Well I sent them packing, and have been trying to wrap my head around this business. I backwashed once and it just looked clear which seemed odd, but what do I know. Then this weekend we got 8 inches of rain, and I turned my backwash on to drain the pool some to keep it from over flowing… same thing, clear. I was preparing myself to have the filter serviced, grids replaced, etc. Today I decided to jump in feet first and just see what I can do. So today:

oxI75Mw.jpg

2BIvbXF.jpg

fKEL51O.jpg

What a mess. It was a little tough to get a good angle to pull it straight up and over the housing, but I managed.

qRYcqDY.jpg

MtvFUru.jpg

Chunks just clogged between the grids

2kPnpBF.jpg

Grids looked perfect once they were hosed off.

Got everything buttoned back up and put 7.5lb of DE in. The pressure is down to 16psi. I used to think that the 20 it has always been at was normal. I am also hoping this might help with our priming issue. The last two mornings the pump lost its prime. The terrible part is on Monday my wife traveled for work and I left early, so we were both gone all day and I don't think the pump ever primed :mad:

Now, I am a Mechanical Engineer by education and trade, but I would suggest that nobody pay for this to be done unless you just don't want to spend the hour doing it. The hardest part was getting the grids to mesh back properly, but that only slowed me down a few minutes.

It definitely feels good to do something your self. :cool:

For future reference, you needn't take the grid pack apart to clean it. You can just hose it down and it will clean up.

Nice job!! :goodjob:

I have to say, I much prefer my Pentair QuadDE cartridge-style filter to the grid-style. Just four cartridges to lift out to clean the DE off from and super easy to reassemble. But I totally agree that, unless you have some physical/health limitations, cleaning a DE filter is really easy and can totally be done as a Saturday morning project. Some of the pools stores around here charge $200 for a filter cleaning "service" :shock:

For future reference, you needn't take the grid pack apart to clean it. You can just nose it down and it will clean up.
I thought about that, but wanted to be sure to get everything bright white, and to inspect the grids since this thing has never been taken apart. I also wanted to be sure I tried everything that I could to solve my priming issues. Next time I hope that it won't be near as nasty.
Nice job!! :goodjob:

I have to say, I much prefer my Pentair QuadDE cartridge-style filter to the grid-style. Just four cartridges to lift out to clean the DE off from and super easy to reassemble. But I totally agree that, unless you have some physical/health limitations, cleaning a DE filter is really easy and can totally be done as a Saturday morning project. Some of the pools stores around here charge $200 for a filter cleaning "service" :shock:

Wow. I didn't even want to ask around. That is nuts. Maybe I could start a little neighborhood side job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.