blowing out sand for winter

I've heard of some people blowing more water out of filter sand with a water vac. I'd like to do this since I have a shop vac. so for winter I will remove drain plug and blow out sand (somehow). I still haven't found that one good thread with all my winterizing questions answered. the one people tend to point to is pretty vague and leaves a lot of unknowns for a first season novice.

clean and brush --- Shock -- backwash filter --- drain a few inches past lowest inlet --- add algaecide polyquat ---- cover pool --- remove pump hoses ---- bring pump inside --- remove filter drain and blow out the water --- leave spider between two setting making it inactive which protects the gasket.

Am I missing something?

Here are instructions on Winterizing your Sand Filter:

1. Completely drain tank by unscrewing drain cap at base of filter tank. Leave cap off during winter.

2. Depress Vari-Flo control valve handle and rotate so as to set pointer on valve top between any two positions. This will allow water to drain from the valve. Leave valve in this "inactive" position.

Any other questions, please ask. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.