New Pool Building Process DFW, TX

Hello All!

I'm new to the forum however I've been browsing for months to soak up the information on here. Me and my wife just built a new house and we're wanting to put in a pool. This will be out first ever pool. We're limited in size due to a 7.5ft easement on the back of the yard. Anyway I got my first quote and for the size pool we can fit it seemed a little high; however I may be wrong so I was wondering if those quote seems in line for this size/work involved in the DFW area specifically. This PB was recommended by my wife's boss who had their pool recently done with the PB and they were very happy with the process.

Here's the specs:

POOL $35,935.00
PLANS & PERMITSCITY OF NORTH RICHLAND HILLS PLANS, PERMITS, RUNNER
ELECTRIC REROUTEINCLUDES TRENCHING CONDUIT PULL, AND RE-CONNECT
DRAINAGE SURVEYREQUIRED BY CITY OF NORTH RICHLAND HILLS
ENGINEER'S LETTERCLOSER THAN 5' FROM FOUNDATION OF HOUSE TO BEAM OF POOL
POOL SIZE28'6"X17'
PERIMETER76' PERIMETER 335 SQ. FT.
EXCAVATION TYPETRACK HOE WITH DUMP TRUCK ACCESS
DEPTH3'6X5'X4' (ANY DEPTH TO 6' INCLUDED IN PRICE)
STEEL STRUCTURE10" CENTERS WITH ALTERNATES IN STRESS AREA
GUNITE BOND BEAM12" X 12" CONTINUOUS WITH 4 - 1/2" STEEL BARS
GUNITE6" TO 8" WALL AND FLOOR 8"-10" CORNERS AND COVES
SKIMMERS2 TOTAL
DRAINS2 TOTAL
PLUMBING RUN25' WITH (3) 2" SUCTION LINES WITH INDIVIDUAL VALVES
RETURNS5 RETURNS
STEPSSTANDARD STEPS 25' INCLUDED
PLASTERQUARTZBRITE 100% (8 COLOR CHOICES)
COPING12" FLAGSTONE COPING (OKLAHOMA) CLEANED AND SEALED
TILE6" WATER LINE TILE STANDARD TILE CHOICE
CONTROLLERDIGITAL TIME CLOCKS
PUMP2 H.P. 2 SPEED JANDY
FILTER460 CARTRIDGE FILTER
LIGHTSJANDY WATER COLORS LED LIGHT FOR POOL & SPA
ELECTRIC WIRE PUMPS, LIGHTS, TIME CLOCKS, FREEZE GUARD
CLEANING SYSTEMPOLARIS 280
SANITIZERAQUPURE 14 SALT SYSTEM
RAISED BEAMS, DROP BEAMS, RETAINING WALLS$0.00
N/A
DECKS $4,883.00
DECKING TYPE525 SQ. FT. OF SALT FINISH (NO COLOR)
DRAINS20' CHANNEL DRAIN SET BETWEEN HOUSE AND POOL
DRAIN PIPE65' OF 4" FLEXPIPE INCLUDED
ACCESSORIES AND FEATURES$210.00
BENCHES(1) 18''X18" WITH A STEPOUT
SPAN/A$11,347.00
6'X6' ROUNDRAISED 18" WITH 5 JETS
SPILLWAY2' WIDE SPILLROCK
HEATER400,000 BTU NATURAL GAS (JXI)
GAS LINES70' FROM METER TO HEATER INCLUDED
PLUMBING RUN60' FROM EQUIPMENTS TO CENTER OF SPA
BLOWER1 H.P. FOR BUBBLES
CLEAN-UP $3,850.00
CLEAN UPREGULAR CLEAN UP (RE-GRADE YARD AND CLEAN UP DEBRIS)
CLEAN UP(1) LOADS OF TOP SOIL SPREAD AROUND POOL AND ACCESS
SPRINKLER SYSTEMREPAIR AND REROUTE EXISTING SPRINKLER SYSTEM
FENCE PUT BACK EXISTING FENCE PANNELS IN ACCESS
TOTAL $56,225.00
ROCK CLAUSE$650 HAMMER HOOK UP $250 PER HOUR ($2,000 CAP)
*NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE*
OPTIONS NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE
UPGRADE PUMP TO JANDY FLOWPRO (VARIABLE SPEED PUMP)$525.00
WIRELESS PDA-4 POOL & SPA REMOTE$1,450.00
JANDY I-AQUA LINK (SMARTPHONE CONTROL)$1,450.00
UPGRADE PLASTER INTERIOR FINISH TO PEBBLE$400.00
UPGRADE DECKING MATERIAL TO SUNDEK (COOL SURFACE)$1,160.00
CAP EXISTING PATIO WITH SUNDEK$1,395.00
PAYMENT SCHEDULE:30% DUE AT EXCAVATION$16,867.50
35% DUE AT GUNITE$19,678.75
30% DUE AT DECKS SET$16,867.50
5% DUE AT STARTUP$2,811.25

I'm pretty sure we would do all the "options" with the exception of the PDA as I don't feel that would be needed if I can control everything with the IAQUA Link.

Also are there any additional items I should be looking to add to the quote that I may be forgetting? This is mainly for my wife and I to relax and enjoy with friends and family. Would like to throw up a volleyball net or add a basketball hoop and enjoy. Not looking to swim laps or anything :)

Any help in regards to the estimate being in line with the DFW market would be great.

Thanks for your help :)

Attachments

• BANKO_001.jpg
    BANKO_001.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 371
  • BANKO_002.jpg
    BANKO_002.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 372
  • BANKO_003.jpg
    BANKO_003.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 371
I'm not sure about the price, but regardless if it's reasonable or not, you will always benefit from interviewing multiple pool builders and comparing their quotes and designs, along with the equipment and other options. If you have your design set in your mind then it is easier to tell them exactly what you are looking for, and helps to compare apples to apples as much as possible. But even if not, you will get a feel for which builder you like the best, and whom you'd feel most comfortable working with.

Good luck on your decision! It is very exciting to be in the market for a pool!

^^^^what JamieP said. There are several DFW builds on this forum you can search for and ask via PM about their pool builders if you need some more recommendations (or who to avoid!).

Oh, and welcome to TFP!

For any accessories that you want it is best to decide on them now so you make the appropriate modifications now. If not, you may limit your options to what can be done later with the setup you have.

Specifically I can think of volleyball or basketball pole sleeves in the deck. Some require nice stainless ones to match up. There is nothing particularly standard. Decide what you want and plan ahead. There are all types of basketball hoops. Many with water bases and others with posts. Volleyball too.

I live in Bedford, right down the street from you, For reference my pool cost about $43K. The pool itself is slightly bigger, but I have no spa, although I do have a small waterfall wall. Same basic depth with the Pentair version of the equipment on your option list. So adding in the spa puts you in the same basic price range that I paid. Although I'm not sure if that is good or bad... :p

Jim R.

For any accessories that you want it is best to decide on them now so you make the appropriate modifications now. If not, you may limit your options to what can be done later with the setup you have.

Specifically I can think of volleyball or basketball pole sleeves in the deck. Some require nice stainless ones to match up. There is nothing particularly standard. Decide what you want and plan ahead. There are all types of basketball hoops. Many with water bases and others with posts. Volleyball too.

Very good points, I didn't even think of this. I assume they were easy to put in after the pool was done. Thanks!

Sleeves are not easy to put in afterwards. MUCH better before, during construction.

A lot less than what we paid in Austin, but we had a technically challenging and very sloped lot that required a lot of concrete work.

If your rock up there is anything like our rock down here, go ahead and add that $2K for rock busting right now...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
we're in the bid process and it's enough to make my head spin. one PB saying the gunite of another bid is inadequate, equipment is junk, etc.. and said he could build their pool for the same price but "doesn't want to build that pool"

we've had most of the popular DFW PBs come out for an estimate (Paul Miller, Klapprodt, Claffey, Puryear, Bravo, Mid-Cities) and are trying to narrow it down to 1-2. if any DFWers have any opinions on any of these, shoot me a PM. in the meantime, I'll start digging thru some of the other DFW threads..

Price looks fairly in line. Maybe a tad high, but it is worth it to have a PB you trust. I would skip the cool deck, we are very happy with our rock salt colored deck. No upcharge, fairly cool and maintenance free. I would gladly recommend my PB, also my neighbor for 10 years. Reber Pools Pics in my build thread, link in sig.

We did a pool and added a separate hot tub on the patio for about 6k. Comfortable, always hot, covered, cheap to operate.

@darin.brown We met with multiple PBs also. We ended up going with Seahorse. They educate you on all the different types of equipment and pool types. They don't push you towards a particular type. As where others would trash salt or different types of equipment with ridiculous reasons. There are several homes in my subdivision that went with Seahorse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we're in the bid process and it's enough to make my head spin. one PB saying the gunite of another bid is inadequate, equipment is junk, etc.. and said he could build their pool for the same price but "doesn't want to build that pool"

we've had most of the popular DFW PBs come out for an estimate (Paul Miller, Klapprodt, Claffey, Puryear, Bravo, Mid-Cities) and are trying to narrow it down to 1-2. if any DFWers have any opinions on any of these, shoot me a PM. in the meantime, I'll start digging thru some of the other DFW threads..

I'm pending a quote from Puryear today. I have to go to their showroom to check it out. One thing I didn't like about them is they kept pushing a product that's only been out for like 6 years and tell me its far superior than anything ever invented. When I told them I wanted the pebbletec they still kept pushing their "exclusive" product. Maybe it is better, maybe it isn't however I wouldn't discredit another product to make a point. I had a a bad experience with Klapprodt before I even got a quote so I didn't bother with them. Still debating on some other PBs to try and narrow it down.

Multiple estimates will give a better idea of the "deal" you're getting. I would also have the estimate include specific tile selections and stone finish. Its hard to picture what you want exactly but if you look at tile samples before hand and agree on a "tile level". These small things can add up.

Got another quote last night and it was about on par as the previous qhote. It was a little more however included a built in firepit. This design was very similar except they did a full paver decking so I could have more decking over my 7.5ft utility easement. I was surprised they were able to do a full paver decking and keep it at the same basic cost of the other builder with the salt decking. Also the pool is slightly bigger with a bigger hot tub as well.

Any one know of issues with salt water pool on paver decking? How does this hold up and do we still need to seal bi-annually? Also I haven't seen many pictures with full paver decking however I did like the fact that I could get more decking than I could with a permanent decking alternatives.

Also I was told on going with pebbletec before I went to the showroom and he was trying to sell us on the "Aqua Brite". Is anyone familiar with this product vs the pebbletec. He said its the next best thing since sliced bread so...that made me skeptical but it did feel much nicer than the pebbletec I'm just concerned about longevity.

Is anyone familiar with "Aqua Bright" from Ecofinish? One of the PB really pushes this and makes it sound great. I did like the way it felt compared to the pebbletec and they offer a lifetime warranty on labor and materials on it. However they advised it's a fairly new product and they have the exclusive rights to it in my area for so many years. This makes me want to stay away from it but they talk it up and it feels really nice. Right around the same price as the pebbletec.

Any opinions or anyone who has this stuff?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.