Big trouble choosing between fiber and concrete pool

Hi friends,
My wife and I retired young and enjoying life have the budget to build a pool in our yard.
We had some poolmakers come over and talk and give estimates.
My wife is crazy about the fiber pool. I find it the most ugly thing ever.
I like the concrete pool. She says: you're not getting younger so choose for the maintenance free pool=Fiber.
I say: take good care of the pool then you keep the maintenance frequency low.
One time I agree and the other time I completely disagree with her and want my concrete pool.
I read all pro's and contra's of both pools but I lover the concrete pool.
Give me some ideas and experiences please.
Regards, Cesar.

I'd have to see your desired fiberglass pool to understand how it could be so ugly?

For Skippy and myself, we weren't able to take care of a gunnite (concrete) pool in those early days when you do have to perform more brushing and chemical adjustments that they require as they "cure". It can be months before the pool is stable. But after that time if you maintain your chemical balance well they are both about the same in care- occasional brushing, monitoring water, run the vacuum now and then, etc.

I had read that it is harder to get algae on the sides of a fiberglass pool. If you get algae, I believe a cement pool might require more care as the algae can get in to the nooks and crannies more and take up residence. A fiberglass pool is smooth and less apt to have that problem.

Cesarr,

I guess you have been married for a while but what I'm hearing does not support that. You should know by now to say, "yes honey whatever you want." With that being said she is right about the pool. I tell my customers all the time there are only a few reasons to ever go gunite over fiberglass. 1. Depth (some FG models do go 8 feet but the choices are limited.) 2. Width (16 wide is about it for FG) 3. Really custom shapes like a guitar (they don't make those in fiberglass)
I am lost by the ugly comment. If white is your only choice don't worry it will look blue with water in it and if you spend a little money on nice tile you can create fabulous, consider a raised Princess Deck on the back side using the same or coordinating tile that you used on the pool or consider a small waterfall and you will have both of your dreams come true. As long as you get a good quality FG you will be delighted, but be careful there is some junk out there that looks good because o slick marketing and high dollar websites. She is right maintenance is much easier, the FG surface is much nicer on the skin and those really skimpy expensive bathing suits.

Good luck with your project,
Mike
USAqua
803-760-7000

Hi Mike,
Well I often say "yes sweetheart, whatever you want" but in this case she encouraged me to give my clear opinion because it's a big investment that
once done there's no way back. Don't fall on the ugly-word. It's just a matter of "taste". The look of a concrete pool's completion I like most. That big fat edge of the fiber pool is not what I like most. But there are other pro's that's worth consider. Thanks for your reaction. Cesar

- - - Updated - - -

Hi James,
My ideal pool is a concrete pool 7 x 3,50 mtrs. 1.80 to 2.00 mtrs deep. I have a budget of about 27.000 $ Landshaping included. Pooldeck tiles.
Thanks for your reaction. Cesar

Pools are made in such a wide variety of models nowadays, it's tough to chose. For us, our FB pool met everything we wanted (simplicity, design, good depth of about 7', efficient care, etc). We also have some soil issues in our area which prompted concerns about concrete pools that crack in our area when the soil shifts. With so many variables to this question, I would go back to the basics of:
- What will the pool be used for (leisure, sports, lap swimming, etc)?
- What type of features would you want (fountains, waterfalls, etc) that could impact design?
- Budget
- Any environmental concerns (soil, digging depth, high water table, etc)

Regardless of the type pool, as long as you maintain TFP care, you can't go wrong. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have had a fiberglass pool and a white plaster pool. Looking at doing another white plaster, but I am in AZ and want a wider pool than the 16 ft we had and most importantly the 115 degree sun destroys everything but metal and concrete. The sun eats our plastic, fiberglass, and rubber. Yes, our cars don't rust, but out tires, windshield wipers and rubber window seals do not last. Anyway, We had a 16x43 built in PA and we loved the lack of maintenance and the feel. No threadpull on the bathingsuits or feel like you pumice stoned your feet. No brushing the sides. It kept insulation heat from our heat pump super well. Much better than concrete. Since we got our pool in 2003/2004, there are a lot more options like color choices, coping and tile accents... even a sunshelf attached to avoid the cookie cutter look if you like. Hot tub butting up to it too. The shell was a 50 year warranty. It's a preference thing really. Check out the new options. We would do another, if not for our extreme environment. (my 2 cents:) wendy