Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
First, I can't believe how much more enjoyment my wife and young daughters got out of our pool this season once we added the above mentioned heater. It is a game changer!

Anyway, now that it is getting time to close, what are thoughts on the heater? Given the cost of the thing, my first inclination is not to leave it out to get battered by a Chicago winter. Of course, given the size, bringing it in risks banging it around, and I am guessing they are made to stay out anyway??

What are thoughts? Leave outside and stop worrying? And is the only winterizing of the heater that needs to be done is turn off the gas and open the drain plug? It seems too simple.

Instructions may only say to remove the drain plug. In my opinion, you need to blow compressed air through the heater with the drain plugs removed until you see no misting come out of the drains. Then pause the air flow and do it again. And maybe again. You want to get as much water out of the heater element as possible. Only use about 20-30 psi if you're using a compressor.

We keep our heater outside uncovered for the winter. We actually use it for the hot tub until December. Not sure if they sell covers or not but it may actually keep moisture in it which may accelerated corrosion.

My heater stays out year round (10 years now). Snow is really no different than rain and my western NY winters are just as rough as anything Chicago gets. I make sure the water is drained out and turn off the gas although there is no real reason to have to do that if the plumbing is good. In fact I am sure there has been a season or two where I forgot to. If you are real concerned, buy a gas grill cover that will fit over it and use that to cover it

Quick follow up on winterizing the heater, I've drained and blown compressed air through the system, is it best to leave the drain plug out and leave the intake and return heads (if those are the correct terms?) open? Or does that risk rain and snow re-entering the system?

Mine came with plugs for the intake and returns (you could devise your own). My manual says do not put a cover over the heature will trap moisture. It also says to remove the presure switch. I keep the switch inside the house.

I am definitely not going to cover, not sure I have a pressure switch?? Didn't see anything in the manual. Do you leave the drain plug removed or replace after draining?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Banditig. I do have the manual, but the winterizing instructions were so thin it seems like there had to be more. All the manual says is turn off the gas and electrical supply and open the drain plug, which I have done.

Also, blow out any debris from underneath the heater that might hold or catch water. We cover our filter, pump, lines, and heater with one large tarp but there is lots of air circulating. All lines are filled with anti-freeze.

Gary R.

Thanks Banditig. I do have the manual, but the winterizing instructions were so thin it seems like there had to be more. All the manual says is turn off the gas and electrical supply and open the drain plug, which I have done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.