question on TFP method

marko7

Oct 27, 2015
Rancho Cordova CA
I've been using a floater for convience and now find the CYA level of pool as of today was 200. I'm going to be forced to drain some water out and refill. I'll be using bleach or liquid chlorine and hoping not to have to do this again. My question concerns the TFP method and how you carry it out if you go away for an extended period of time or even a few weeks. Do you throw a floater in just for that period and then go back to the TFP method when you return?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

For a week you could use Trichlor tabs in a floating feeder. For longer than that you'd need a higher capacity inline chlorinator. Or you can have a neighbor or friend come over twice a week to add chlorine if you use a pool cover.

Nice to have you with us! :) Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Welcome to TFP.

You'll find that CYA drifts down with splash out and backwashing, and just slowly in general it drifts down. So if you're up at 50 when summer starts, it may get down to 35-40 within a few months. Then you raise the FC, throw some pucks in the floater for a week while you're gone, and you're back where you started. Since it's winter coming up, you could have down near 30 then go up from there. Really, anywhere from 30 to 60 isn't much different, once you get the FC level correct, according to the CYA/FC chart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.