Cartridge filter size

cd

Oct 9, 2008
Bedford, TX
I need to replace the sand filter I have because of a crack in the multi port. When Pool people installed last year I was kinda wondering why they put A LOT of silicone on one of the fittings in the multiport. I took the multiport off and disconnected the fitting to change the sand and found out why. They cracked the multiport where the fitting goes in. I think buying the multiport is almost comparable to switching to a filter in $$.

The pool is 12x24, 10K gallon, 1 hp waterway 2 speed. what would be the minimum and ideal SF size for a cartridge filter? I see everything from 50 to a whole lot.

Thanks,

A complete multi-port valve runs around $100 to $150. A complete filter runs around $200 to $600. You might only need a part for the multi-port, which would hopefully be less than an entire valve.

In general, when buying a filter, larger is better. I suggest 75 to 150 sqft, depending on your budget. Larger filters are more efficient and don't need to be cleaned as frequently.

JasonLion, It's the multiport housing that is cracked so I would need another one. I checked some prices they run from 150-175 for another on. It's a Aquatools AT3120 200 lb 21". I'll have to do some more research this weekend.

JasonLion said:
A complete multi-port valve runs around $100 to $150. A complete filter runs around $200 to $600. You might only need a part for the multi-port, which would hopefully be less than an entire valve.

In general, when buying a filter, larger is better. I suggest 75 to 150 sqft, depending on your budget. Larger filters are more efficient and don't need to be cleaned as frequently.

I have a 21k gallon pool with a 420 sq-ft cartridge filter but my pool stays open all year around. I clean it about twice a year with minimal PSI rise.

In your part of the country my guess is that you only have the pool open for 3 months a year so I would go with at least a 100 sq-ft filter and at most 150 sq-ft so you won't need to clean it more than once a season. Also, this puts you in the range of a single cartridge filter which will make cleaning a bit easier.

Just an update. Ordered the part on last Sunday from Poolandspa.com. Called the place Wednesday to see if when it might be shipped out. Reply "still workin on it, just wait for our email call back Friday if you don't get anything". I called today and the nice lady said "it's at shipping and it might go out on Monday" Hopefully the shipping is quicker than the processing. As of today just trying to rig something to keep the water flowing so the water doesn't get worse than it already is. Had to go to the old favorite of JB weld today, will try to put in service Saturday morning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.