First time closing pool; do I need to drain more water? Pictures.

Aug 11, 2015
Potomac, MD
First time closing the pool and I need some help :)
Do I need to drain more water? There are some holes in the pool that don't seem to suck nor return water and I'm wondering if I need to have the water level below those holes.

These are the three return holes:
IMG_20151026_171556.jpg

These three holes don't seem to suck nor return water:
IMG_20151026_171546.jpg

These two holes don't seem to suck nor return water either. One hole is above the water line and one is below the water line right below the ledge. If I have to drain water 4" below that hole, there will barely be any water left in the pool.
IMG_20151026_171656.jpg

Looks like you've gotten the shop vac involved to blow things out. You can't get water to come out of any of these holes when blowing air through the lines? I would try plugging most of them and running the blower to see if you can get any water to come out of them. Try blowing directly into one of them as well.

Based on their location (well some of them) they look like they may have been spa type jets. Is there any abandoned equipment at the pad such as an air blower?

Mesh safety covers are designed to support themselves without having to rest on the water so how low you take the water shouldn't affect the cover. I would say that you don't need to drain any more water but it is a little nerve racking that you can't get air to blow out of any of them so you can plug them up.

We used to have a hot tub and there is a pool/spa machine. It has a huge fan,..perhaps it's a heater? The lines to that have been cut for some reason, and the hot tub was removed.

I think I can put the shop vac in the first pic's holes and it will blow water up through the pump filter probably. I'll try blowing through the 2nd and 3rd pics' holes to see what happens.

When I blew air through the skimmer hole, it shot water into the leaf catcher. When I blew air into the bottom of the leaf catcher, it shot water to the pump filter. When I blew air into one of the top holes in the leaf catcher, it blew out the main drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.