Peeling paint in pool

Jul 15, 2008
I'm new to the board and of course I have a problem. Paint is peeling off my pool above the water line where it was closed this summer--I'm assuming that it is due to the quickie paint job the previous owner slapped on before we purchased the house last July. The pool is probably 25 years old, concrete and painted with epoxy paint. What peels off is large sheets above the water line--there is nice clean paint underneath nothing is exposed. I was going to open it this weekend but wanted some info about how to progress before I fill it up and get things started...or am I going to have to drain it and repaint the entire pool?

Thanks

Greg

Welcome to TFP!

A lot depends on how widespread the problem is. If it is limited to areas above the water line and there is an intact layer of paint below the flaking paint, as you say, then all you really need to do is to remove the paint flecks so as few of them get in the pool as possible.

If, on the other hand, further inspection shows that the problem is also occurring below the water line or the lower paint layer turns out to not be intact everywhere, then you will probably need to drain and refinish the entire surface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.