Just refilled and testing, need advice please

Oct 3, 2015
Tampa, FL
So after having motor and impeller issues and getting those resolved and then being out of town 2 weeks, I needed to start over with the water and chemicals as the water had turned green and CYA was at least 200.

I drained about 85% of the water out and refilled it with city water (can't wait for the next water bill). I used the TF-100 test kit to test with. CYA is still a bit high but I can't afford to drain and fill yet again. While I was draining I was using the vacuum sweeper to suck up as much algae off the bottom as I could.

FC = 1.5
CC = 0.5
TC = 2.0
TA = 230
CYA = 100
Cl = 0.5
ph = 7.8

Suggestions?

You need to get your FC up to at least 12 and possibly higher.
You also need to get your pH down. I would recommend using MA to lower it.

Lower the pH first, because once you raise your FC up over 10 the pH test gets wonky.

Redo the CYA test using 50% pool water and 50% tap water. Since the test is only good to 100 you still need to dilute to get a better idea what it really is.

Is your water still green? If so you are going to need to SLAM it. With a CYA > 100 it's going to take a lot of bleach, but it can be done.

The pool has a very slight green tint to it. It was greener when I first bought the house and was able to clear it up spending a bunch of money at Pinch a Penny. So I'm confident it can be cleared up again without draining. Should I put any bleach in it while I get the ph down?

Redo the CYA test using 50% pool water and 50% tap water. Since the test is only good to 100 you still need to dilute to get a better idea what it really is.
This! Anytime I see a 100 CYA measurement I'm immediately suspect that's it's at least 100 and subject to a testing limitation. Find out the true CYA level first. At least you'll know exactly what you're up against. Sorry.

I tested CYA with 50% pool water and 50% tap water and it read 50, so I guess it really was 100 with just the pool water. I added the 189 oz of bleach 3 hours ago and just rechecked the level. The FC was at 26 so I added another 65 oz to get the level closer to target of 39. I'll test again in a couple more hours. With all the bleach in the pool to shock it I'm assuming there is no point in doing the ph test since it will be off. Since it was good before I started to shock it I don't need to worry about it until after the SLAM is complete?

Thanks for help!

For a SLAM, good pH is 7.2. I think you were at 7.8 last you reported. Did you test before you started the chlorine additions?

Once you get the FC up to SLAM level you need to test after about 1 hour or so and add back whatever you need to get it back up. This is called the M or Maintain part of the SLaM

Just keep doing that until you get a small drop between tests. Then you can start to stretch the cycle out to every couple of hours. Keep that up until the water is crystal clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You were correct about the pH retest. Once FC is over 10 the test becomes wonky.

Also, you'll want to take pictures each day. Maybe a couple times a day at the beginning. Would love for you to post them so we can all enjoy the progress :)

I would look for a feature that goes into the water, like steps or a ladder or even the vacuum hose. As the water starts to clear you'll get to see more and more of the item.

Here is the current state of my little pool. Not too green to start with but can't see the cleaner at the bottom too well. And no there isn't a tablet in the chlorine floater, I just haven't taken it out of the pool. And the hose isn't on just haven't pulled it out since refilling it.
By the way the tip on the forum about getting a fire hose off eBay for draining was great! Although I bought a 1.5" and should have gotten a 2" hose, but I used an adapter to make it work. Those blue hoses have always busted when I've used them.

20151026_161434-e1445890961427.jpg

Yes it is an interesting little pool. When I was with the realtor looking at houses I laughed the first time I saw the pool. I wasn't really looking for a house with a pool but figured it would be nice to have to relax in sometimes since I don't really swim laps or have kids at home any more. It has been the butt of many jokes. I'm working on getting rid of the bamboo near the pool and then will be having landscaping done which will include some pavers in the backyard. I was thinking about doing stone around sides the pool and on the top edge where the tile is now.

So over night the FC dropped from 43 to 38 but it had been raining over night too. I don't think the pool really looks green, I think it is just cloudy? Here is a picture from this morning to compare to the previous one I posted yesterday.

Should I bring the level back up again or do other tests besides FC at this point?

20151027_083439-e1445950090750.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.