Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Folks,

I'm very new to "modern pools" and I'm looking to add a natural gas heater. Gas line was installed to the pad with a regulator at the pad. I'd like to consider Jandy JXi or LXi but I can't find anything about the LXi efficiency. Is there a site that lists this info?

Any help for this newbie would be most appreciated.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

According to this government website:

New gas swimming pool heaters have a standard test they go through to determine their energy efficiency based on their Btu (British thermal unit) output.

Heater efficiency is the ratio of usable output to energy input. For example, an 80%-efficient heater uses $80 worth of useful heat for every $100 worth of fuel. Therefore, it wastes 20% of the fuel.

Most gas pool heaters feature their efficiency percentage on their nameplates. A pool heater's manufacturer can also provide its efficiency percentage.

However, when I look at the specifications and documents for the Jandy LXi heaters, I see nothing about efficiency measurements. Heater Review Sites seem to only mention specific efficiencies when they are listed explicitly by the manufacturer on their website or documentation.

So unfortunately you may need to directly contact the manufacturer and ask them for the efficiency ratings for their gas heater models. What a PITA.

The Jandy Pool Heater Cost Calculator does show for each model the "BTU Output of Heater Selected" which for the LXi models they are the following:

Model . Presumed Input . Output . Efficiency
LXi 250 ...... 250,000 ....... 200,000 ..... 80%
LXi 300 ...... 300,000 ....... 240,000 ..... 80%
LXi 400 ...... 400,000 ....... 340,000 ..... 85%

The LRz line similarly has 80% efficiency across the board (even for the LRz 400). It is the Hi-E2 line that has 95% efficiency.

I would consider a Raypak unit over the Jandy. They Jandy has several extra parts like a blower motor and when it goes out in 4-5 years, you might not be happy with the motor replacement cost.

I look at efficiency on appliances that get used on a daily basis. Like a refrigerator, A/C unit, etc. At least for me, that is how I look at things.

Chem Geek and PS0303,

Thanks for the quick replies and info. This site really seems to be full of great people and great information! I've spent hours wandering around and didn't find the heater so thanks chem geek! the JXi would be a lot easier from an installation and is about the same (83%) so I'll go that way. PS0303 I did a little Googling on Raypac and there are certainly a LOT of people that give them accolades. Also, thanks for the gas/electrical warning. It's nice to see a focus on safety.

Best regards,

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.