Aussie test kits and hello

Oct 25, 2015
Queensland
This post concerns a test kit sold in Australia. While it has many, many similarities, it has no relationship to the TF-100 sold by TFTestkits.

Wanted to say hello from Australia. I am a complete noob and get my first pool just in time for Christmas. It's an inground FG built around 2008, but that's all I know at the moment so once I know more I will create a sig.
I wanted to know if anyone had any experience of this Australian test kit, the NQ100
NQ-100 Complete Test Kit - NQ Pool Test Kits
Interested in any reviews or comments please and also suggestions whether, if I buy one, I should order any extra reagents at the same time, and whch ones? It appears cheaper than the Taylor K2006 and if it does what I am am likley to need then I'll happily support a local(ish) business. They say all reagents are compatible with the 2006 excepy CYA.
Thanks

Well good timing Noob (Sorry your handle way too hard to spell), here is the low down
The following discussion concerns a test kit sold in Australia. While it has many, many similarities, it has no relationship to the TF-100 sold by TFTestkits.

I ordered the NQ-100 on the 13/10, a few days later they sent a form e-mail to everyone to say they were out of stock and made a genuine apology for the error (Internet site showed stock on hand when in fact they had a backlog). I tried to contact them a few times (Phone and e-mail) and got no reply so I assumed it was a lost cause, wanting to get on with the testing I then ordered the K-2006C with extra reagents from poolvacparts, I was pretty dissapointed with NQPTK for failing to get back to me by the way....well the NQ-100 has just arrived! literally just now, so it took 14 days to arrive but it does have what I beleive is a genuine apology letter along with a 'free gift' (Very generous one at that) so they are back in my good books to some degree but I wish they had replied to my call or e-mail to save me spending the extra bucks on the K-2006!

Here is a picture of the kit, I will try it out tonight and report back results in another forum as I need some help with calcium flakes and the rapid build up on the SWG cells.

I would think that you are safe ordering the NQ-100 from NQPTK but perhaps ring them to make sure they have got stock first (Hopefully they answer), The kit contains tests for FAS-DPD, pH, TA, CH, CYA, and salt (A bonus over the K2006 which requires purchasing an extra test). I'm guessing the NQ-100 is based on Taylor reagents and they import it in bulk and pack off into their own kits - at $115 delivered it seems good value.
IMG_1761.jpg

Just looking at the kit and wathcng some youtube vidoes using the FSD/DPD method, if I'm right then this NQ test kit doesn't contain the reagent to test for CC, it can only test for FC....from my very limited understanding I would say this is a major drawback of this kit???

Some good news perhaps...
I have read te thread from johnmw1 and it definitely sounds like customer service isn't at the forefront of NPQKT ethos but if it has been a genuine mistake then I will give them the benefit of the doubt. But I must say I am slightly tempted by offers from ScottieFoz (in the Coffee Lounge) and Ale Brewer in the mentioned thread, to import some TF100's. Also in the meantime I found this site https://clearchoicelabs.com.au which apears to offer FAS DPD kt and PH kit (so lacking in CH, TA, CYA and salt) but with hints they migt have more kits coming.
Anyway, I have until mid December so will look out for Aussie threads and kits.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Crunchy, If the kit doesn't contain the CC test, then it's particularly going to be a problem if you have to SLAM the pool!! I have tried to read the instructions from the lid which I can't make out (I know it sounds painful could you give us a quick rundown of what the instructions are for testing for FC - but for the recommended test kits the FAS- DPD test has 3 bottles, which give you the FC and CC readings. Does it have 3 bottles for this test or just 2? I know you have ordered the K2006C, but it would be interesting if you were prepared to test your pool using both kits (if your intending to keep the NQ test kit) for comparative results!!

Or to be more precise, shall I say 1 container of powder and 2 bottles of liquid

Hi Jezza
The following discussion concerns a test kit sold in Australia. While it has many, many similarities, it has no relationship to the TF-100 sold by TFTestkits.

Just the powder and one reagent..."25 ml sample, 2 scoops of C-0201 (DPD powder) swirl to mix, sample will turn pink, add C- 0202 (FAS-DPD titratingreagent) swirling and counting until colour changes pink to clear, multiply drops by 0.2" that's it...or for high FC use 10ml one scoop and multiply by 0.5.

two other mistakes I have found....

1) the CH test instructions say the colour will be orange and turns green, I found the colour to be purple and turn blue (just like on YouTube)

2) the salt test - I got two of the same reagent instead of part one and part two

So it's back in the bad books!!!

anyway results were:
pH 7.4
FC 6
CYA 70
TA 90
CH 400

but will retest tomorrow and start my own thread instead of dropping in mr crmdm, crmdm ml, DOH mr noob

Ok Crunchy- assuming that the results are accurate they are a good set of numbers on the surface. TA is a little high for your pool but CYA and FC levels are within the CYA/FC recommended level. pH is also a touch high but not too bad. CH is also fine. Just wondering how long you were running your pump over a 24 hour period and to what extent your SWG is dialled in (i.e. how much of the pump time the SWG is effectively making chlorine)/ I'd be interested to get some info on how your pH is also tracking on a day to day basis, and whether you are adding any acid (HCL or dry acid) to bring pH up.

Unfortunately, it sounds like there is no CC test from what you've described. Bummer about the salt test too!

I'm assuming your going to go through with the order from poolvacparts.com? As I said before it would be really interesting to see how your results compare to Taylor test kit. Jezza

I do not mind this discussion but I am concerned that ANY newbie scanning this site can easily confuse this kit with the TF-100 from here in the states. That is not acceptable.

Please put ANY future posts about this with this disclaimier that must be in the front of each post.

It may be a fine kit but there must be no confusion as to it's origin.

If you post and do not preface your post with that disclaimer, your post will be deleted without discussion. Thanks for helping me with this.

This post concerns a test kit sold in Australia. While it has many, many similarities, it has no relationship to the TF-100 sold by TFTestkits.

So the NQPTK doesn't sound the best with regard to lacking a CC test. I've been trying to weigh up options for Aussie testing and it looks like:
Bite the bullet with NPQTK
Import a TF100 (offer from ScottiFoz and AleBrewer to combine shipping resoucres)
Buy a K2006 frm poolvac parts for 65.99 +38.99 us shipping approxAUD145)
Look at making up a kit from separate local suppliers ie clearchoicelabs.com.au offer a FAS DPD test and PH bit none of the other tests.

My main worry is the ongoing cost of refills. What are other aussies doing please?

Hi Crmdgnly

I ordered a K-2006 through an American online company called Poolvacparts.com. who I have used this 2 times personally and had no hassles and it was relatively prompt in delivery. My big mistake was not realising how little of the FAS- DPD reagents/powder and the CYA reagent you get. So I had to put in a 2nd order within 2 months- so obviously a slightly expensive mistake especially as I needed to SLAM my pool of algae.

So if you go this option then make sure you order some extra refills of a larger size while your at it especially the FAS DPD (R-0870 powder, R-0871 reagent for chlorine), the R-004 for PH and R-0013 reagent for Cya tests. This will particularly be the case if you ever have to SLAM the pool. I also found the larger sizes are not that much more expensive than the smaller sizes and worth it even if you don't end up using them all before they go off.

So if I can get away with 1 delivery a year for refills I can handle that. Another way of looking at it is to think of how much money you are saving by not buying unnecessary chemicals as recommended by the pool store or pool service guy.

Just my 5c worth!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.