Ants + Green Algae under liner

pedsrn

May 29, 2007
Alabama
Two questions:

1. We removed our old liner today and noticed ant trails (probably why we're having to replace the liner). I've read several posts here about this subject, but did not find a definitive answer on taking care of the ants. I've read borax, DE, commercial ant powder, 7dust and bleach. I've not been able to find if this stuff is safe next to the liner all the time. Of course, I prefer borax because I have it on hand, but will do whatever is best. Right now I'm leaning on getting DE and just spreading it on top of the sand (between the sand and liner).

Suggestions?

Second question: Spots of green algae on top surface of sand. It's not deep in the sand, you can actually brush it off. Is this normal? Should I spray with a bleach mixture before putting new liner down?

Thanks in advance!

I had some algae on the backside of my liner as well. That was two years ago and, to this point, it has not had any adverse affect.

My "bead" for my liner is below the water level so I always get just the tiniest bit of seepage behind the liner. Since I could not eliminate the source, I chose to simply leave it alone......time will tell.

I'd be interested to know about how you resolve the ant situation. My understanding about DE is that you need to buy food grade DE and not the pool kind. Since you'll be using it under the liner and thus the powder wouldn't be washed away, I think it would work, but I'm no expert.

I've killed mites on my rose of sharon with pool grade DE! It was pretty amazing!I was very impressed with the results! I don't see why pool DE wouldn't provide you with the same results to take care of the ants.

I would definately use my pool grade DE on another bug problem if needed! :twisted: Good luck with the ants and let us know what you do and your results! 8)

Pool grade DE is considered a hazardous material. In some areas it is illegal to release it into the environment. It can cause skin irritation, and, if you breathe it in, it can cause cancer. The kind of DE used for gardening is considered non-hazardous. They both affect pests in the same way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.