#1 Test?

TJTJ

Oct 18, 2015
Orinda, California
from reading a few threads I believe the #1 test is the CYA. From what I've discerned the CYA/FC ratio is of utmost importance. Well maybe just in my case.
If my CYA is say 135, I believe I need to lower this first. I do not have any visible algae now, but it was visible in the warmer months. I scrubbed the walls for the first and last summer, I hope. Much work:(( Lowering my CYA will make managing my pool easier. I hope the board with tell me if I'm thinking correctly. Especially chem geek as we are friends, because we live in the same neighborhood. Actually we live in the same area. Thanks in advance for all replies / thoughts. I ordered test kit TF - 100. Has not arrived. Pool Store says it is 125. TJ

Funny as I was watching a video by Sammy and he said don't work about your CYA #. I'm like he can't be thinking correctly. The pool store always tell me the reason I have algae is because my phosphates are too high. like 200, then I whip out my cc..........

Hi TJTJ,

It's hard to tell accurately what's going on until you get your TF-100. By the sounds of it your CYA levels could be way too high. The FC/CYA relationship is the cornerstone of managing your pool the TFP way, so knowing your CYA level is crucial to determine the free chlorine level you need to maintain to avoid algae. If you have had visible algae, you will need to SLAM the pool and even though you may not be seeing any at the moment it will more than likely be there, consuming your chlorine. If you have adequate sanitiser, then you don't need to worry too much about Phosphate levels,as phosphate is just food for algae and adequately sanitised pools can control the algae without starving it, (which is what phosphate removers do- so therefore a waste of money)! Read up on 'Pool School', to get the basics down pat. I wouldn't do much else other to maintain your additions of chlorine until you get the test kit.

The numbers here at TFP are tried and tested in REAL WORLD pools. We are every day people with NOTHING to gain from helping others. The pool store has $$ to gain in selling you stuff.

Well we do have something to gain---------friendship and smiles! Oh and fuller wallets! LOL

Kim

Welcome to TFP!!

As ahs been suggested, a little reading in Pool School while you wait on your TF-100 will be time well spent.

I agree the big 3 are FC, CYA and pH.

Just because the pool is "clear" right now does not necessarily mean there is not any algae lurking around. Cooler water slows the reproduction of algae and you might just be using the right amount of chlorine to keep it in check.

Here is what I would suggest -

If you haven't done so already, make the switch from solid chlorine products to liquid.

When your TF-100 gets here let's see some actual numbers. Don't confuse the specificity of the pool store numbers with accuracy. When they say CYA is 135 or FC is 7 it sounds specific/scientific, they must know what they are doing. I had three different pool stores tell me my CYA was in the 85 - 95 range. When I got my kit I found it to be in the area of 250.......

Bring your FC up to about 10 and perform an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) This will tell you if you have something growing in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.