How do I install a Hayward 40k Gallon SWG ?

The installation manual can be found at http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/AquaRite-AQR-Operation-Installation.pdf

How confident do you feel about it? Particularly the electrical?

You need to provide power to it. Can be either 110V or 220V but must be provided in such a way that it is only active when your pump is running. If your pump runs off an existing timer, you can tie it into that provided it is not overloaded. If (like me) you have a VS pump with its own controller, you need to add a timer and ensure it's only active while the pump is running.

On the plumbing side, you will need to cut into the existing plumbing to add the cell and flow switch. There is a requirement that the flow switch needs at least 10in of STRAIGHT pipe before it (that can include the actual cell).

I installed mine in an afternoon but that included a trip to the local pool store to get a replacement union after I forgot to add the threaded part before glueing:brickwall: I realized immediately I pushed them together but it was too late:(

It's not that difficult if you are handy. If you have ANY doubts about the electrical, call a professional.

The installation manual can be found at http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/AquaRite-AQR-Operation-Installation.pdf

How confident do you feel about it? Particularly the electrical?

You need to provide power to it. Can be either 110V or 220V but must be provided in such a way that it is only active when your pump is running. If your pump runs off an existing timer, you can tie it into that provided it is not overloaded. If (like me) you have a VS pump with its own controller, you need to add a timer and ensure it's only active while the pump is running.

On the plumbing side, you will need to cut into the existing plumbing to add the cell and flow switch. There is a requirement that the flow switch needs at least 10in of STRAIGHT pipe before it (that can include the actual cell).

I installed mine in an afternoon but that included a trip to the local pool store to get a replacement union after I forgot to add the threaded part before glueing:brickwall: I realized immediately I pushed them together but it was too late:(

It's not that difficult if you are handy. If you have ANY doubts about the electrical, call a professional.

Wow, thanks so much ! Yes, I feel like we can probably do this on our own.

The quotes for installation in our area has been $1,500+ :(

I took some pics of our pump set-up, how do I add those here for review ?

- - - Updated - - -

Here are pics of our Pump set-up.

Thoughts ?

jumbojet*,

It would be very helpful if you could list some of the other DIY projects you have done.....it helps us assess your skill level.

Puckinator??? I certainly hope we have no intention of using that terminology on a regular basis. In our efforts to keep pool care simple, "puckinator" will not help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't help with the set up too much. I just wanted to say if you want to leave your puckinator (sorry Dave but I think it is FUNNY and CUTE!) in you can so you can use it for weekend trips away and such. IF you need the room you can always use floater instead.

Kim

Run a 240 volt line from the load side of the timer (terminals #2 and #4) into the swg box. Include a ground wire from the timer ground screw to the swg ground screw.

Connect a #8 bare bond wire from the box bonding lug to the bond wire using a split bolt to connect to the bond wire. Remove the tab feeder and install the cell after the filter. Add salt and you're good to go.

Note: Be sure to read and follow all installation instructions. Don't do anything that you're not sure that you can do safely. Consult an electrician if any doubt.

Run a 240 volt line from the load side of the timer (terminals #2 and #4) into the swg box. Include a ground wire from the timer ground screw to the swg ground screw.

Connect a #8 bare bond wire from the box bonding lug to the bond wire using a split bolt to connect to the bond wire. Remove the tab feeder and install the cell after the filter. Add salt and you're good to go.

Note: Be sure to read and follow all installation instructions. Don't do anything that you're not sure that you can do safely. Consult an electrician if any doubt.

Thank you!

So, the puckinator (tab feeder) comes out and the SWG will go in its place ? Will I need to do any retrofitting or adjustments ?

The tab feeder comes out. You will have to replumb to accommodate the flow sensor "T" and cell. The cell is put in with unions.

The power for the swg comes from the load side of the timer or the last switch before the pump so that the swg only has power when the pump has power.

Some PVC work will be needed, to get the required pieces in the space you have to work with. I may be able to come up with a scetch if you need one. G
Have to be after I get back on laptop in the morning. Too limited on this 99 dollar tablet. :)

I can't help with the set up too much. I just wanted to say if you want to leave your puckinator (sorry Dave but I think it is FUNNY and CUTE!) in you can so you can use it for weekend trips away and such. IF you need the room you can always use floater instead.

Kim

Isn't one point of having a SWCG so that you can go on vacation without having to use pucks? I've always had a SWCG on our 11 year old pool and have never used a single puck. It's great to be able to go on vacation and not worry about the pool turning green. :)

PS - I also thought the use of the word "puckinator " was funny. ;) I think it's pretty clear that it wasn't used as an "official" term.

I missed the SWG part. That is outside my area as I do not have a SWG and will not have one due to having an above ground pool and a fear of rust :(

ONE day in the far, far future I will have an fancy in ground pool and WILL have an SWG.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.