drain question for closing

Hi guys...I know the winter closing topics have been discussed at great lengths, so I apologize for bringing this up...but I keep getting different advice depending on what I read and who I ask.
I live in New Brunswick, Canada where we have a very long and very cold winter...i.e. a very thick layer of ice in the pool. Last year, I drained the pool water below my return lines as I thought I should. Unfortunately, we had a very high ground water level over the late fall (after draining), winter and spring and because I removed so much water weight out of the pool, a lot of ground water was able to get under and lift my liner. This caused me many days of severe stress (brand new pool) before I got the water out and the liner reseated properly. I would like to avoid this problem from happening again.
A lot of info I read says that, in my case, I can simply blow the return lines out and plug them while they are still under the water level. My concern, of course, is that the ice will damage the return line fittings where they go through the pool wall. What is your thoughts on this... Am I asking for trouble by leaving the water level above the return lines in this climate, or is that a better alternative then taking the chance of ground water getting under my liner again?
Thanks for the advice in advance!

Last year, I drained the pool water below my return lines as I thought I should. Unfortunately, we had a very high ground water level over the late fall (after draining), winter and spring and because I removed so much water weight out of the pool, a lot of ground water was able to get under and lift my liner.

I am guessing that your liner only lifted where you drained the water, or all over the pool, even under water? So this one will be a tough one regarding how to keep water out of there unless you have some type of pump (underground to remove water) that affects the pool. Something like this should be left for a professional.

As for clearing the lines, you can leave the water even 1/2 way in the skimmer. Please make sure that you clear water from the lines a little longer and use the rubber plugs (which in my opinion work best) and that there is no air leaking (which will be very apparent). In the skimmer basket, I would recommend a Gizmo for expansion and you could possibly add a small bottle (filled up 1/2 way with RV Pool Anti-freeze) as added protection.

This will keep your water higher than normal. Also, how much freezing do you get, on the surface that is? I am guessing a few inches. What type of cover do you use as well? Thanks!

I am guessing that your liner only lifted where you drained the water, or all over the pool, even under water? So this one will be a tough one regarding how to keep water out of there unless you have some type of pump (underground to remove water) that affects the pool. Something like this should be left for a professional.

As for clearing the lines, you can leave the water even 1/2 way in the skimmer. Please make sure that you clear water from the lines a little longer and use the rubber plugs (which in my opinion work best) and that there is no air leaking (which will be very apparent). In the skimmer basket, I would recommend a Gizmo for expansion and you could possibly add a small bottle (filled up 1/2 way with RV Pool Anti-freeze) as added protection.

This will keep your water higher than normal. Also, how much freezing do you get, on the surface that is? I am guessing a few inches. What type of cover do you use as well? Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. The water came in under the liner in the shallow end (there was still water in the pool...I just had it drained below the returns...maybe a bit lower than necessary). Unfortunately we did not put in an underground drain or pump because we didn't think this was an issue when building the pool.
I have no problem draining below the skimmer...it just takes so much more water out to drain below the return lines as well.
Our winters are long and very cold, so the ice will be VERY thick... way more than a few inches. I'm using a regular winter cover.

Thanks for the reply. The water came in under the liner in the shallow end (there was still water in the pool...I just had it drained below the returns...maybe a bit lower than necessary). Unfortunately we did not put in an underground drain or pump because we didn't think this was an issue when building the pool.

If only in this area, maybe it is coming also from ground water and surrounding areas? if you have heavy water, maybe redirecting away from the pool could prevent this. If coming from the ground up, then a pump would be your only option. Was this the only year it happened? Have you been the owner for more than one year? A timeline may pin point part of the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.